1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter opening: Independence, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Company: The Examiner
    Position: Sportswriter opening
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: July 16, 2009
    Job ID: 1062009

Description:
    Sportswriter to join award-winning sports staff on daily newspaper in Independence, Mo. Coverage focuses on high school sports and other local community sports. Layout skills necessary. Must have journalism degree or equivalent and proven experience. Regional candidates only. Send letter, resume and clips to executive editor Dale Brendel at dale.brendel@examiner.net, or send to 410 S. Liberty, Independence, MO 64057.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Karl Zinke, the SE there, is a fairly nice guy.
    While it's not the KC Star, there are some decent high schools in the Examiner's coverage area. You shouldn't be bored.

3. srnitz86

srnitz86 Guest

Anybody know if they staff Chiefs, Royals, KU, or Mizzou games?

4. esport12

esport12 Member

doubtful.

5. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

beautiful area to live in. I love Missouri!

6. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

They're getting a pro hockey team.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Was this sarcastic? I mean, I love Missouri, too, but I wouldn't call Indy a beautiful area. To each his own, I guess.

8. srnitz86

srnitz86 Guest

I was going to apply for this job, but I just noticed the ad says regional canidates only.

9. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I'd do it anyway. If you're good enough, they're gonna want you.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Is this still a GateHouse paper?

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I know this paper pretty well though it's been several years since I've read it regularly.

A pretty good staff, Karl Zinke is a good guy and knows what he's doing, and Dale Brendel, the executive editor, is a former sports guy IIRC so that's always good. I would expect the pay to be very low, so look for a roommate.

The Examiner and particularly its sports section has really made its mark in eastern Kansas City, and they are the authority on high school sports in Independence and Blue Springs particularly (the KC Star just parachutes in occasionally like most major metros do). Last I heard, it's a 6-day-a-week PM paper but that might have changed in the last several years.

Don't expect to cover Royals or Chiefs. You might get the chance once in a blue moon if a local kid is in town (like Albert Pujols or Brandon Lloyd) but that's probably about it.

Like many papers, the Examiner has covered high school so well in that area that the bar has been raised pretty high in the public's eye, which means the parents are probably going to be a real bitch to deal with. I guess that comes with the territory of aggressively covering high schools.

12. Does anybody know the circulation info for this paper? I saw above someone said it was 6 days a week but can't find the other numbers anywhere else.

Draft saved Draft deleted