1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter, Hilton Head Island (SC)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lhanlin, Dec 3, 2008.

1. lhanlin

lhanlin New Member

The Beaufort Gazette and Hilton Head Island Packet’s combined sports department is looking for a sportswriter to fill an opening on our seven-person staff.
    The position’s main focus will be covering our four private high schools in Beaufort, Ridgeland and on Hilton Head Island.
    Candidates should have a college degree, preferably two or more years of daily newspaper experience, knowledge of AP style and the ability to write on a tight deadline. In return, you will get the freedom of a flexible schedule, latitude to work on enterprise pieces and a salary and benefits package above the industry standard.
    The Beaufort Gazette and Island Packet are both McClatchy Co. newspapers that merged sports departments in July. Our combined circulation is 32,000 and growing. Our market is a high-growth area in South Carolina’s Lowcountry, a region that’s rich both culturally and environmentally.
    Like other McClatchy newspapers, we have high reporting, writing and editing standards.
    We consistently win awards in state and regional — and sometimes national — newspaper competitions. We were named by Editor & Publisher as one of 10 newspapers in the country that “Do it Right” in 2004.
    Other McClatchy papers include The Miami Herald, The Sacramento Bee, The Charlotte Observer, The (Raleigh) News & Observer, The Kansas City Star and the Forth Worth Telegram.
    If you meet the qualifications above, please send an e-mail — but do not call — Lance Hanlin, sports editor, at lhanlin@beaufortgazette.com or lhanlin@islandpacket.com. The e-mail should include a one-page cover letter, a one-page resume and a list of at least three professional references. Also include five items with at least one game story, one feature story and one enterprise story.
    Applicants may also mail the materials to The Island Packet, P.O. Box 5727, Hilton Head Island, SC, 29938.
    To find out more about the Gazette or the Packet, look at our Web sites: www.islandpacket.com, www.beaufortgazette.com.

We’re situated on the coast between Savannah and Charleston in an area that’s rich in many ways — historically, environmentally, culturally and economically. If you saw the movies Conrack, The Legend of Bagger Vance, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Big Chill, The Great Santini, Forest Gump or Something to Talk About, you'll have an idea of what the area looks like. (All were filmed here.) The region is notable for other things, too — Pat Conroy has set most of his novels here; the PGA Verizon Heritage is held here; and former President Bill Clinton used to spend his New Year’s holidays here.
    The University of South Carolina Beaufort, a four-year institution, has a campus here. The school began an intercollegiate athletics program in 2007.
  2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

didn't they just have an opening? or am i thinkn of Beaufort, specifically?
  3. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

Great place, great paper -- probably best for its size. PM me for more details.
  4. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

I think there was a thread here speculating about an opening in Beaufort a while back, but it was based on confusion about the sections merging.

Our last sports opening was in February, but it was never posted. I believe the last one before that was about a year and a half ago.

If anyone has questions, feel free to PM me.

-- Justin Jarrett, assistant sports editor/online
  5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I cannot -- CANNOT -- say enough good things about the Island Packet and Beaufort Gazette. They do a fantastic job covering local sports, and both papers are always two of the best designed publications in the state.

I don't know Lance, but I knew his predecessor well, and if Lance is anything like Jeff Kidd, this newspaper's sports section will continue to be one of the best in the state. I do know Lance did great work at Beaufort before the newspapers combined the sports department.

JJ, who posted above, is a great guy, as well and an unbelievably talented writer.

I know there's the concern about money (the Island Packet and Gazette usually pay an appropriate amount for the size paper they are) and McClatchy, but if you're still looking to stay in this business and want to work somewhere where a quality product is a priority, then you should apply.
  6. Scrubs

Scrubs Member

Is Jeff Kidd still there? If he's not the sports editor, what's he doing now?
  7. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Jeff is now the managing editor of the Beaufort Gazette, so he moved a few feet down the hall to the corner office and he still oversees the merged sports department. Lance Hanlin, who was the Gazette's sports editor before the sections merged, is the new SE.
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Can you live in Hilton Head on a sportswriter salary?
  9. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Yes, but it helps if you have a spouse (or at least a roommate). 8)

Unless you just feel you absolutely have to live on the island, you'll probably live in Bluffton, which is the mainland extension of Hilton Head Island. That's where our office is, and it puts you in between the island and Beaufort, where you'll also have to travel to cover games.

You will not live like a king, but the cost of living is not nearly as bad as you might expect. Housing is more expensive than some areas, such as the Midwest, but much less expensive than in big cities. You can rent a one-bedroom apartment for probably $600-700 a month. My wife and I rent a two-bedroom townhouse for $1,000 a month.

Keep 'em coming, folks. I'm off to bed in a bit, but I'll be by in the morning to answer your questions.
  10. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

A couple more things before I go to bed:

First, thanks to SCEditor for the kind words. You almost made me blush. :D

Also, it wasn't in the ad, and I guess it goes without saying, but the Verizon Heritage is obviously our biggest event of the year. Everybody gets their hands dirty that week, and we certainly hold our own covering a big-boy event. Our Heritage special section was an APSE Top 10 last year, and we really blow out the coverage throughout the week.
  11. ianguerin

ianguerin New Member

Lots of plus-side from this shop.
    1. There's a good tradition of APSEs coming out of Hilton Head.
    Jeff and Justin (I know of for sure) have both had success in the small category. And while many on here don't care about awards and such, it could be a good key in getting a pretty good break.
    2. As JJ said, you'll have plenty of opportunities to be in the thick of some bigger stuff.
    3. You'll also be one of the biggest influences on a staff that is primarily preps first. (Justin, refresh my memory: Even though you get free USC and Clemson coverage, haven't you guys cut down on running that stuff?)
    4. You'll get to work with Justin and Jeff (and I'll take Justin's word that Lance is good people), people I've held in the highest regard for some time.
  12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Don't trust Justin and Ian. They're douchebags. ;)
Draft saved Draft deleted