1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter, Fort Smith (Ark.) Times Record

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Nov 15, 2007.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

From journalismjobs.com:

The Times Record in Fort Smith, Ark., is looking for a sportswriter to fill an opening on our six-writer staff.

The main focus will be high school coverage, but you’ll have the chance to write features on local athletes playing at various Division I programs, cover a Nationwide Tour event, help with coverage of two JUCO programs (one of which is transitioning to NCAA Division II) and, yes, write columns.

Candidates should have a college degree and some newspaper experience, knowledge of AP style, the ability to write on a tight deadline and to juggle multiple projects. In return, you’ll get the freedom to set your own schedule, latitude to work on enterprise pieces, a competitive salary and benefits package.

The Times Record is a 38,000-circulation (43,000 Sundays) daily. We’re the second- largest newspaper in Arkansas and win awards in competitions in both Arkansas and Oklahoma. Fort Smith has a low cost of living and is centrally located to several major cities.

Send resume, references and clips to Times Record, Attn: Sports Editor Scott Faldon, P.O. Box 1359, Fort Smith AR 72902. Or e-mail it to sfaldon@swtimes.com

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Some good people there, especially on the sports desk.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I'll agree. And this place seems to take care to not overkill people on the workload.

Not sure about pay, but again, good folk.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Applicants beware: The company that owns the Swatter tends to lay people off now and again, and they go by reverse seniority. Meaning the new guy can get chunked at a moment's notice.

Six sports people at a 43K shop is a rarity in this day and age. It may get rarer. Just saying.

Having dispensed with the main caveat, yes, this paper has a lot of good people there and Scott Faldon is a good guy. A lot of people there have gone on to bigger papers like the Oklahoman and the Demozette.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Scott Faldon is one of my favorite people in this business.

The job's a good one, as ol' Bat said, and the opportunity to move elsewhere is there. Your stuff will be read, and you'll get every chance to move on if you do well.

6. ScottFaldon

ScottFaldon Member

I'm humbled (and wondering who the heck you people are).

In addition to e-mail, if anybody has any questions about the opening they can PM me as well.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Faldon's OK.

8. Rich Polikoff is a frickin' stud. He's got nice hair, too.

9. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Rich sometimes sports a fantastic JewFrow that intimidates the hell out of the most confident of high school sophomores. And please, please, do not confuse him with the great Rich Garcia.

10. Slash

Slash Member

Whos leaving and where are they going?

11. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Haven't talked to Rich Polikoff yet, but my guess is he is the one leaving for another paper in the chain. Sprindale maybe, which covers the University of Arkansas. Don't know if he'll still be a preps writer and help out with Arkansas or what the deal is. But he's a talented writer, and a heck of nice guy. I'll save everyone from saying "thnaks for stopping by Rich." I am not he.

12. ScottFaldon

ScottFaldon Member

Rich is the one leaving. He's going to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

Draft saved Draft deleted