1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter - Fort Smith, Ark. (Hiring Freeze now in place)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ScottFaldon, Nov 26, 2008.

1. ScottFaldon

ScottFaldon Member

The Times Record in Fort Smith, Ark., is looking for a sportswriter to fill an opening on our six-person staff.

The position’s main focus will be covering the University of Arkansas — Fort Smith, a JUCO program transitioning to NCAA Division II status. You will also cover a lot of high school sports, a Nationwide Tour event and do features on local athletes playing at various Division I programs. You also will have the chance to write columns.

Candidates should have a college degree and some newspaper experience, knowledge of AP style, the ability to write on a tight deadline and be able to juggle multiple projects. In return, you will get the freedom to set your own schedule, latitude to work on enterprise pieces and a competitive salary and benefits package.

The Times Record is a 39,000-circulation (43,000 Sundays) daily. We are the second-largest newspaper in Arkansas and win awards in competitions in both Arkansas and Oklahoma. Fort Smith has a low cost of living and is centrally located to several major cities.

Questions? E-mail: sfaldon@swtimes.com

Send resume, references and clips to Times Record, Attn: Sports Editor Scott Faldon, P.O. Box 1359, Fort Smith AR 72902.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Re: Sportswriter - Fort Smith, Ark.

nice to read there are some openings out there. anyone know who left?

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Covering Arkansas-Fort Smith could be fun. The women's volleyball team just finished second in the NJCAA tournament, the women's basketball team is ranked fifth, and men's basketball is ranked third in latest poll.

4. spud

spud Member

ESPN's mag just had a feature on a kid that played with Danny Green in HS that got booted from Nevada and ended up at Fort Smith. They've got a whole ton of talent there.

5. ScottFaldon

ScottFaldon Member

The guy hired early last year is the one who left.

He was from Nevada and got a great job offer (non-journalism) back home.

6. thebigd

thebigd Member

Would that be Mr. Mullen? Nice young man. I know the Arkansas Fort Smith coach, Josh Newman. He sas a former assistant at nevada which is why that one kid ended up there

7. ScottFaldon

ScottFaldon Member

Yes, it was Tim Mullin. I hated to lose him, but he had a really good opportunity to return home.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I didn't know UAFS was going four-year. I knew they were a big enough juco that they could, though.

This job wins the F_B seal of approval. Just don't go across the river to Moffett, lest you get your ass kicked.

9. Re: Sportswriter - Fort Smith, Ark.

Excellent opportunity for someone who aspires to cover college sports. UAFS may have the nicest JUCO basketball stadium in the country (and it should have one of the better ones in D2 after it moves up), and there is no shortage of good stories there.

Plus Scott Faldon is one of the best guys you'll meet in this business - even though he may be a little too into English Premier League soccer. PM me with questions.

10. tmullin

tmullin New Member

I am the guy that left and first have to thank Scott for the kind words. It was tough leaving the business and the Times Record, it was a great gig, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to come home.

As for the job, I'm sure no one needs anymore encouragement to apply but Scott is a great boss and excellent to work with. Like the previous guy said, one of the best editors I've ever met in the business.

Plus, there is a plethora of good story ideas coming out of UAFS, especially as they continue their transition to D II. If anyone has any questions feel free to e-mail me.

By the way, I am curious, who are you theBigd?

11. arkansastraveler

arkansastraveler New Member

I'll echo what everybody else is saying and add a bit of a warning in the interest of objectivity...

Stephens Media did just whack a number of employees at other properties to save a handful of money, so it's important people know that going in and understand the reality of the situation.

Otherwise... they do tend to be ahead of a lot of chains in Arkansas with pay, benefits, etc.

Scott Faldon is good people. Does a nice job with his section.

UAFS beat would be excellent for anybody looking for college experience and there would seem to be no shortage of story ideas. Lions' basketball Coach Josh Newman, in my limited dealings, seems to get the importance of a good relationship with media.

Times-Record building is immaculate. It's, what, five or six years old?

Fort Smith gets a bad rap as a town. It's got a nice blend of booze, churches, chain restaurants and local joints. It's convention center occasionally attracts decent acts. Once saw Willie Nelson there with a buddy.

And I don't know Tim Mullen, but if Faldon says he's a'ight, then he must be a'ight.

12. partain

partain Member

Can't say I'm familiar with the newspaper staff, but my wife grew up in Fort Smith and most of her family is still there. So I know the town pretty well. It's definitely grown in the last 10 or 15 years and has all the restaurants and chain stores and stuff that most people are looking for. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and attended games for both the UAFS (was WestArk when my wife attended) men and women. The arena was very nice for a D-II school and there were okay crowds there for each game. Both the men and women have won national championships at various levels in the past few years, so you'll get to cover teams that win more than they lose.

One other thing to keep in mind is that with the (relatively) new highway to Northwest Arkansas, you aren't that far away from the nightlife in Fayetteville—if you're into that type of thing. No more traveling the highway of death (71). And Tulsa is less than two hours away, as well.

Heck, if my wife's family didn't live there, I might have to consider applying!

Draft saved Draft deleted