1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter/Designer/Copy Editor, Eau Claire Leader-Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Mira

Mira Member

Illinois and Wisconsin are both great states, no matter the city.

North61, you don't know squat.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Whoa, let's not go crazy now, clearly you've not visited the exotic treasures of Decatur, Ill.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Or Danville, for that matter.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Danville is a nuclear test site waiting to happen.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

High Packer garbage is my new favorite phrase, with Kosar's iconic status a close second.

6. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Wisconsin's great if you love beer. The difference between Wisconsin and other states is in the beer.

You walk into a dive bar in most states and they have Bud Light or some shitty beer on tap. Dives in Wisconsin have Leinies, New Glarus and other really good micro brews

Oh yeah, the cheese curds also kick ass.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

The best young cheddar in the world comes from a group of Menonites about an hour north. Somewhere around Chippewa Falls or Barron.

I actually thought it was a pretty cool, laid back area. I don't think the locals north of ther are hicks and renecks so much as they're hard-working. Lots of farms there.

8. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

From Illinois, lived in Wisconsin and vacationed there quite often as a kid. Have to say I love Milwaukee, Madison and even have an affinity for Oshkosh. There's no better state to get a brat and a beer (that's high on my list). And Madison is an ultimate destination if you're looking for a good party. You know that saying that in college you can find a party 7 days a week. Well in Mad-town they party 8. I don't know how they do it, but they do. Favorite wisconsin brew has to be Pointe beer. And whoever alluded to people from Chicago misrepresenting the rest of the state is dead on. People from the Chi think it's the best place on earth and aren't afraid to tell you how much every other place on the planet sucks. Of course that's blanket statement and not true of everyone you meet. Yes, Decatur and Danville are absolute holes, and let's not be afraid to throw East St. Louis into the mix.

9. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I love the pointy-headed guy on the Point beer tap handle, but that beer is nasty.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Anybody who comes to Wisconsin needs to have a Leinenkugel's Honey Berry, which is:

half a pint of Leiny's Honey Weiss and half a pint of Leiny's Berry Weiss (once a seasonal brew, now available year-round).

I never was much of a beer drinker before. Since having one of those concoctions, I'm forever hooked.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

That shit is gooooooood. I'm also a big fan of the Sunset Wheat, which is basically a better tasting Blue Moon.

12. Mira

Mira Member

Thanks for the Leinie suggestions. I love Leinie's Red, but will try the Honey and Berry mix. Sprecher Amber isn't bad, either.

Ah, to visit SportsJournalists.com for beer advice ... that rocks!

I was born and bred in Wisconsin, went to school in Milwaukee, lived in Chicago and currently reside in Madison. I think I can give a darn good opinion on most things Midwest. Wisconsin isn't New York or California, but I don't think it's as backwards as some folks are declaring.

Although Kankakee is a bit scary, that's all I'm saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted