1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter/Designer/Copy Editor, Eau Claire Leader-Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Aug 11, 2006.

1. EgregiousMistakes

EgregiousMistakes New Member

I'd say 1 1/2 were fired. The half was between step two and step three of the LT firing process.

But well stated.

2. There was an SE who was fired in 2004, but it's hard to say he ever worked there. Guy was a total flake.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Daaymn!

I'll quote Bob Dylan on that almighty blast-off.

"Everyone of them words rang true and glowed like burning coal."

4. EgregiousMistakes

All I can say is ... preach on brother. That was one of the most fantastic rants I've ever digested.

5. EgregiousMistakes

The one bad thing about this mess is that the new SE is a very good guy. Amazing writer. But because of the paper's reputation, he's f'ed when it comes to applications for this opening.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

*jaw drops in awe of MopedMishap's rant*

7. North61

North61 Member

Mishap- Sounds like you're talking about my management!

1. Wisconsin sucks if you are away from Madison or Milwaukee. And it's Wisconsin.
    2. Everything north of you is redneck, hick packer garbage - everyone in the city or within 40 miles wished they lived in Minnesota, Madison or Illinois.
    3. Unless you are fresh out of school, this job sounds like another grind that gets you nowhere (no raises) and like mishap said - you might be forced to cover dance team/U-whatever BS to please a publisher/ME/management who has no clue on what the sports section means to the community, and does not read it unless if parent/coach/grandma calls in to whine why little jimmy's name isn't in the agate for winning the 3-point contest at the local summer basketball camp. Yuck.
    4. Turnover says it all.
    5. You have to live in Wisconsin. The cold isn't bad. The people are.

But if you do take it, you should be able to buy cheap Lineys (based out of Chippewa Falls) to drink every night to put up with the stress upper management will give ya.

Just say no.

8. Norman Stansfield

Are you from Illinois, by chance?

9. Mira

Mira Member

North61 HAS to be a FIB.

I know nothing about the Eau Claire paper, but Wisconsin isn't THAT bad.

10. rgd

rgd Guest

Must be an FIB. I'm from Illinois and love Wisconsin. The FIB is probably from Chicago, where two-thirds of the people are complete ass holes and give the other one third a bad wrap.

11. Norman Stansfield

Agreed.

12. North61

North61 Member

Illinois (especially Chicago) and Wisconsin (outside of Madison/Milwaukee) sucks.

I would never live (nor did) in either of those states, though I briefly considered the LaCrosse job because it sounds like the paper's rep was decent.

I grew up in the northwoods and spent enough time in NW Wisconsin to know that it's just an area that yuppie suburbanites from south Wis./eastern Minn. go to camp on vacation. EC is too close to that nonsense.

Eau Claire might be a fun town for some people, but I think it takes the right person to live there. Now, if it was a D1 college, covering the Blugolds might be a little more appealing. The paper though, wouldn't make my time worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted