1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter Bucket List ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, May 7, 2009.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

If a sportswriter does his/her ``bucket list'' and only 2 of the 13 things listed are sports-related, is that the sign of a good career?

Keep the sarcasm to a mininum. I really want to know. The visit to the doctor didn't go great.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Perhaps you've done a lot of the things sports-wise that you want to do already.

So then you're good.

Now go bungie jump off that bridge.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If I had a bucket list, very few of the things would be sports-related. I see enough sports through my job that I don't really need much outside work. If it's a list of things I want to cover before I retire, sure, I can fill that list, but the grander list wouldn't have much sports on it at all.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My bucket list is *entirely* sports.

Hockey game in Canada (checked off)
    Rugby match in New Zealand or Australia
    Soccer match in England
    Cricket match in India or Pakistan (saving this one for last, seeing as how they don't seem that safe for obviously America tourists these days)
    World Series game (checked off)
    NHL playoff game
    World Cup soccer match

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I had a "bucket list," sports would likely not be the most critical factor.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The SockPuppet Bucket List:

* Cover the College World Series.
    * Cover The Masters.
    * Write an in-depth story on why Mount Union dominates Division III.
    * Cover the I-AA playoffs (a game at each stage of the bracket leading to the title game).
    * Spend a season going around the country writing about college basketball; no budget limits, no space limits - write about games, people, etc. If it's in a book form, great. If nobody buys the book, whatever.
    * Spend the college bowl season covering as many of the games as possible, writing about the behind-the-scenes, off the beaten path stories. If it's in a book form, great. If nobody buys the book, whatever.
    * Get access to the NCAA Tournament committee's weekend deliberations (pipe dream).
    * Pick a conference champion (automatic qualifier) from the bottom of Division I, hook up with 'em right after they win the conference tourney, follow them through the end of the season.
    * Get access to Michigan State/Tom Izzo's game preparation/practices.

7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

The two sports-related

1) Cover a football game in the Pacific Time Zone, so I can say I've worked a football game in four time zones and Alaska.
    2) Go to a game at either Fenway or Wrigley

One is to kick Olbermann in the teeth, but that's not really sports-related anymore...

I thought, I've seen MJ called for travelling, a white guy dunking on LeBron, Earnhardt winning the Daytona 500, an 8 OT college football game and Bethune-Cookman beating Florida [in softball, but still] and those were the ones off the top of my head ... Dang. Not bad.

So now it's see the step-grandkid play HS football... Damn, make it 3 of 14.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sock's is a great one - I've actually done a couple of his. I have more, will post later. Unless I die first.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. 1 on Moddy's list

1. Post bucket list

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I had retire from a newspaper at a time of my choosing at one point. Don't think that's going to happen.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I doubt any other person would include career-related items on their bucket list. That you have two or three says something.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My only sports-related thing would be to watch the Flyers in the Stanley Cup Finals. Given that I don't think they'll ever get back, I missed my chance in the Lindros years.

Draft saved Draft deleted