1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter Brian Guilbeau dies, age 38

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Condolences to Brian Guilbeau's family and friends and co-workers.

LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP) — Brian Guilbeau, a sportswriter and columnist for the American Press newspaper in Lake Charles, died Friday from complications of cystic fibrosis. He was 38.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the Worship Center at First United Methodist Church in Lake Charles.

Guilbeau was the Louisiana Sports Writers Association's 2005 Columnist the Year. He covered high school and McNeese State University sports for the American Press, with assignments ranging from an LSU national championship football game to a high school basketball matchup played behind closed doors because a fight marred their previous meeting.

He won awards from the Louisiana-Mississippi Associated Press Managing Editors, the Louisiana Press Association and the Louisiana Sportswriters Association for game coverage, columns and headline writing.

Guilbeau, a native of Lafayette, also served as editor of the Health & Fitness page and was a page designer on the nighttime news desk at the American Press. He joined the American Press staff in 1998 from The Daily Iberian in New Iberia.

Survivors include his wife, Cassondra Guilbeau; daughter, Lilly Guilbeau; parents, Gerald and Virginia Guilbeau of Lafayette; and brother, Brent Guilbeau of Baton Rouge.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Lake Charles hired Brian after I left, so I never worked with him, but I got to know him in subsequent years because of my association with the paper and my ties to the city (it's my hometown).

He struggled mightily with his condition for many years and outlived the typical life expectancy. He was a solid guy and a hard-working reporter, and I never heard anyone say a bad thing about him.

Everyone who knew him was stung by the news, despite realizing long ago it would eventually come.

RIP, Brian.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My favorite uncle died from CF at age 35. Brutally tough disease. My heart goes out to Brian's family.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Sounds like Brian made an impact on those around him in life. That's the best anyone can ask for when they leave it.

RIP, Brian.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Condolences to friends and family.

38... damn.

RIP

6. I worked with Brian for many years. I can honestly say he was the best writer we had on staff, myself included. He was not only a great writer and columnist but also a wonderful dad and husband. He will be truly missed.

Here is a link to some local reaction to his passing.
    http://www.coachesaid.com/Forums/Football-64/General-365/RIP-Mr-Brian-Guilbeau-of-Lake-Charles-American-Press-129028769293828885

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I worked with Brian. Great guy. He worked in news in the last couple of years before his death in an effort to have more time to spend with his wife and daughter. I'm sure he was glad he made the move.

He will be missed.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is he related to Glenn Guilbeau?

RIP... 38 is way too young...

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Mizzou, I believe he's a distant cousin. He's a slightly closer cousin to former Jets defensive end Rusty Guilbeau, if any New Yorkers can remember back to that 80s era with the "Sack Exchange." Rusty and Brian are both from the little town of Sunset and Brian said they weren't first cousins, but were not very far apart on the family tree.

10. On a related note, LCAP city editor Hector San Miguel died last night in Houston of complications from leukemia. He was 51 years old.

Rough autumn down in Lake Charles. My condolences to Hector's family.

Draft saved Draft deleted