1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter Bentonville (ARK)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Slash, May 12, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I grew up in Bentonville and my first job in the biz was at the Daily Record. The area has grown exponentially since I left and it appears the paper has to. I believe the circ was about 10,000 when I worked there. Of course, the biggest change is above. This has been argued on another thread, but what's the point of HAVING to wear a tie? You shouldn't wear cargo shorts and flip-flops to cover a game, but you should be able to dress comfortably without looking like you sell insurance. This is just a stupid rule that can go a long way to creating a stifling work environment.

2. Slash

Slash Member

Like I said, you can dress down at games, and in the summer its dress shirt and slacks in the office. Plus, if you work at the office after 5, I think you are exempt from the tie.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Does CPI still own the paper?

4. Slash

Slash Member

CPI and Wehco (Arkansas Demorcrat Gazette) signed a joint operating agreement in 1999. I think Wecho owns Bentonville and Fayetteville now.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And the DOG prints an NWA zoned edition in Lowell. So that should tell you the pecking order of things.

6. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Must be computer literate, eh?

Guess that rules me out. ???

7. tomglave

tomglave Guest

I am the ASE at The Daily Record and I have a few answers for those on this post.

No one has left.
    We are adding another spot because of the opening of a new Class 7A high school in our area - Rogers Heritage. Class 7A is the biggest classification in the state.

We are owned by WEHCO, which owns Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

We no longer have the tie rule. That was the rule when I started here five years ago but it has since been dropped.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

See? I told you Tom Glave was a good dude. :D

9. Just thought I'd post this so someone else doesn't have to have the same experience I just had. Not that it was anyone's fault, per se.

I was all set to fly to Bentonville and interview and then they ran my driving record yesterday. No DUIs, no reckless drivings, no leaving the scence, etc. But you can't have more than 1 moving violation in the last 12 months and no more than two in the last three months, so Paul emailed back and told me I was out of the race. I had one moving violation in the last year but three in the last three years.

I've never run into such a requirement, but so be it. I'm not sure who they'll hire down there, but that person will not have my lead foot, that's for sure.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Do you mean no more than one in the last 12 months or two in the last three years?

11. No more than one in the last year AND no more than two in the last three years.

They were offering 12.00 an hour and touting only one night of desk work a week.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted