1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter Bentonville (ARK)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Slash, May 12, 2008.

1. Slash

Slash Member

Courtesy of JJobs

Description:
    The award-winning Benton County Daily Record, a 20,000 daily circulation newspaper located in Bentonville, Ark., is seeking a sports writer. Duties include game stories, features and enterprise stories. Requires night and weekend work. The ideal candidate should have a passion for aggressively covering both high school and community sports, possess strong writing skills, be familiar with sports terminology, be computer literate and able to meet deadlines. Our four-person sports staff covers eight high schools both large and small for a section that has been recognized as one of the best in Arkansas Mail resume, cover letter and clips to Melinda Lenda, Human Resources, PO Box 929, Bentonville AR 72712 or e-mail adgjobs@nwanews.com.

Good boss: check
    good area: check
    Good teams: check
    Good pay: check
    No page design: check

Sports editor Paul Gatling is a decent guy. Im not sure who left. ASE Tom Glave has been there awhile, too.

Great job for a newby. Bentonville, home of Wal-Mart is booming with restaurants etc, but the county is dry, and you are 23 miles from Fayetteville, and the U of A and plenty of nite life.

Main schools in the coverage area are Bentonville and Rogers. Both have had success in different sports. The cost of living may be a little high, but there is reasonably priced housing if you look.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

How much do they cover the Hogs? Is it a day-to-day beat or do they catch as catch can?

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

"Good pay: check" ??????

How much is good?

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It is listed as unspecified on journalismjobs. Do you know how much it actually is?

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

That's what I'm askin' too.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I don't know about the pay, but I also will vouch for ASE Tom Glave, who is a great guy and has been there for several years. It's also a pretty darn nice part of the country with a booming economy, which is tough to find these days (thank you, Mr. Walton).

7. Rogers will actually sport two high school teams next year. Heritage High School opens in the fall and will immediate begin playing in varsity sports.

8. Does anyone know who left?

9. Slash

Slash Member

Id say mid 20s at least

10. I don't believe they cover the Hogs much. The Northwest Arkansas Times (which is based in Fayetteville), the Morning News and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette all do, but the Benton County Daily Record sticks to Benton County, which Fayetteville is not in. The sports people at the shop are decent folks, too.

But this is a good gig. Rogers and Bentonville are competitive in many sports, they have phenomenal facilities (Bentonville's are some of the best in the country), and NW Arkansas is a nice place to live with a low cost of living.

MAJOR RED FLAG THAT WILL PROBABLY ELIMINATE 99 PERCENT OF THE APPLICANT POOL: I'm fairly certain you have to wear a tie if you work here.

11. Slash

Slash Member

[quote author=More hideous than Ben Seaver

MAJOR RED FLAG THAT WILL PROBABLY ELIMINATE 99 PERCENT OF THE APPLICANT POOL: I'm fairly certain you have to wear a tie if you work here.

[/quote]

From Labor Day until Memorial Day, then its collared shirt. Of course, you are excused from the tie while in the field. No coverage of the Hogs.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

From Labor Day until Memorial Day, then its collared shirt. Of course, you are excused from the tie while in the field. No coverage of the Hogs.

[/quote]

What the hell's the point of only having to wear a tie in the office? If they're gonna make you wear a tie, why wouldn't you have to wear it out in public?

Draft saved Draft deleted