1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter: Amarillo (Texas) Globe-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by pressboxramblings07, Aug 1, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

If you're expectin' grain, Amarillo is an excellent place.

2. jps

jps Active Member

you'd think that even the mother ship would recognize that prep football sells the papers in those towns and most of texas in general, for that matter ... hard to figure, even in these times, why they'd not take care of at least that area.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

People don't want high school football coverage, dum dum. They want Olympics coverage. ;)

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Sorry if I'm not hip to the Shockley situation, but are they just short handed in Abilene or are they entirely without a sports editor?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

They have no SE presently. The entertainment writer is in charge of sports, though they did hire Sam Waller away from the Odessa American to replace someone else.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Actually, people want middle school and little league coverage, remember?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, and to answer my own question earlier:

Miles Blankenship left. He's going to become a school teacher, which these days offers better pay and more security.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I (heart) all the West Texas / Eastern NM activity on SportsJournalists.com.

Carry on....

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Eastern NM just wishes it could be West Texas

10. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Only difference between West Texas and Eastern New Mexico is the football gets a lot worse in New Mexico, but the basketball is much better. Although an Artesia vs. Permian football game would be interesting

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i thought new mexico was sandwiched between alabama and miss.

12. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Ummmmm like what? Especially San Angelo and Abilene?

And, I'm curious... do you get to attempt to eat the 72oz steak at Big Tex when you go in for your interview?

Draft saved Draft deleted