1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter: Amarillo (Texas) Globe-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by pressboxramblings07, Aug 1, 2008.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I guess this makes San Angelo the only (sorta) big West Texas daily to not have an opening this year.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, Erin Bolen left, they just aren't filling it.

Oh, and Dargan, your insane hatred of all things West Texas just comes off as weird. Did you not get a job out there or something?

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

First, I would never want a job in West Texas. Not saying there are no good jobs there. Plenty of great jobs. It's just a preference thing.

Second, it represents every cliche about Texas that people outside of Texas assume about the state. Flat. Rainless. No trees. Tumbleweeds. Only things on the landscape are oil rigs.

I admit, it may be a red-headed stepchild thing. Anyone who's from the Ark-La-Tex knows the rest of Texas doesn't really acknowledge you. The ALT is the least "Texas"-like of all of Texas, that's why it's really more like the rest of the Deep South than Texas.

4. As somebody who has worked in two West Texas markets and spent time in all of the bigger ones, I think it's really shortsighted and unfair to cast a wide net over that area and say the rest of the state looks down at it.

Texas is a very proud state and the different regions and cities take even more specific pride. West Texas and the great little towns in its area are no different.

Is West Texas overwhelmingly beautiful? No. But it has a lot of charm in general, and each of the bigger cities (Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland, Odessa, San Angelo, Abilene) has its own quirky appeal.

If you don't want to work there, fine. Stay away. But don't take uninformed pot shots at an area and towns where a lot of good work is done by very good and friendly people.

5. jps

jps Active Member

well said, i_i_s ... but it's still west texas. ;)

also ... still hadn't heard who left. and, gola, when did erin leave and for where? surprised (sort of, considering the sinking ship and all) they aren't replacing her with football season fast approaching. more with less during west texas football? ugh.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Erin went somewhere in Missouri to cover Missouri State, I believe.

Yeah, the guys in San Angelo are not happy about being down a person this fall, especially with the monster road trips they will have with Amarillo in their district.

Of course, Abilene hasn't replaced Troy Shockley either. That chain is really screwing those two papers.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

You obviously didn't read my post correctly.

I said Deep East Texas, mainly the Ark-La-Tex - the region I'm from - is the part of the state everyone looks down at because it's the least "Texas"-like.

I also prefaced my statement by saying there are plenty of great jobs in West Texas. I just wouldn't want to live there, just like I wouldn't wanna live anywhere that had a lot - or any - snowfall.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

did she get one of the springfield jobs?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what happens when a texan from the ark-tex-la area moves to arkansas?

10. Hillman

Hillman New Member

In the West Texas version, the old punchline to that question states, "The IQ of both states goes up."

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wonder how many resumes you'd get by pimping Southlake Carroll.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I initially would have said a lot, but I'm actually curious.

SLC has probably been good enough that they are known nationally, but I'm betting more people have heard of Permian than Euless Trinity, despite Permian "not having done anything since the FNL season."

Draft saved Draft deleted