1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter — Martinsville VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Methodtomymadness, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Company: Martinsville Bulletin
    Position:
    Sportswriter Wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    May 31, 2010
    Job ID: 252969

Description:
    Wanted: Sports writer for a three-person sports department at 18,000 a.m. in Southside Virginia. Successful candidate will cover preps, area college teams and other local sports, including Martinsville Speedway's two Sprint Cup races each year; edit copy and paginate with Quark XPress. New grads with experience as well as sportswriters on weeklies or those looking for new challenges are welcome to apply. Send resume and clips to Johnny Buck, sports editor, Martinsville Bulletin, P.O. Box 3711, Martinsville, Va. 24115; fax 276-638-7409; email (.txt ) only files to ginnywray@hotmail.com

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Oh shit. Release the hounds!

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh shit. Don't. we've been over that ground before. If you can't offer something constructive on this one, please just stay away. Not directed at you bud, I just want to hold down the horseshit.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Since I have been working the yard a lot this past week, is this job classified as an annual or a perennial?

5. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

They've actually been pretty steady lately, from what I understand. Maybe someone who knows better can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is a position that has been frozen for a while, but is opening back up.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

sorry moddy, I dont usually get to be the one who does it. dooley noted.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

God bless Ginny Wray, she's been there a long time.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No need to apologize. As I noted, wasn't directed at you specifically.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Moddy, to help people decide about applying for the postion, would it be helpful to give members of this board a heads up as to where the people who have held this position have moved on to?

If this job has switched hands four times in the last five years, it might be helpful to say that one person is now an SID, one moved on to a larger paper, one is on the news side and one is slicing meat at the local deli.

If all four are watering plants at the local Lowes (I have zero idea is this is the case), that could give a heads up as well.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I see where you're going but disagree with doing that. Where someone moves to have having this job isn't relevant. What is relevant is that the job is always open. Obviously, there must be a reason for it which has been blistered here too often.

11. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Does is stand as a sign of progress that the sports editor is listed as the contact instead of Ginny? And, yes, I saw it's Ginny's e-mail address. I wish I could say I know Johnny Buck, but I don't. It's gotta be a positive sign that he's listed in the ad though.

12. jbtarheel

jbtarheel New Member

I'm the sports editor at the Martinsville Bulletin. I've never posted on this board (though I do read it fairly often), but I figured this might be the time to start.

I realize the Bulletin's reputation, as it pertains to this site, was probably well earned at some point. However, I'd like to think this job opening is not nearly as bad as it's being made out.

For starters, our sports department has been stable for about two years. I was hired in the spring of 2008. We're currently looking to fill a sports reporter position that's been vacant ever since a hiring freeze was enacted in the fall of '08. Our current sports reporter has held the job for about two years, as well. Things aren't perfect here, but there are no furloughs or layoffs ... and hey, we're hiring, aren't we?

This is my second stint at the Bulletin. I'm a Martinsville native - grew up here, went to high school here. My first job out of college (UNC-Chapel Hill) was this very position that we're hoping to fill. I was promoted to sports editor, left and worked at a couple other papers, then came back.

We're looking for a versatile reporter. The more you can bring to the table, the better your chances. Strong knowledge of NASCAR would be a huge plus. Page layout skills would also be a feather in your cap, as would some experience working on the news side of things.

I don't think reporters who have worked with me here at the Bulletin would warn you away from this job. If I'm wrong about that, it shouldn't take long to find out. I'm guessing some of them will read this thread. :)

PM me if you have questions. ... I'm getting off the soapbox now.

Draft saved Draft deleted