1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportspages.com -- Anybody still care?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RichJohnson, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Typical Rich Johnson - he asks for opinions but then he hasn't been back to check for the responses.

2. Shot - I'm not sure what you mean.

On my part I was just pointing out that Rich started this thread but has not come back to the board since (of course he could be lurking but if that is the case - then that too is classic Rich - ask for comments and then just let the thread die by not doing anything)

I don't feel that I'm making cheap shots at Rich - I'm just telling it the way I see it.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sorry, Chris. Offending post removed.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Perhaps he's reading it as a Guest.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He was last active at 1:56pm Sunday. So he's seen at least the first page of comments on this thread.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You all are a bunch of stalkers.

7. Actually it would have been half the first page. Maybe it exhausted him?

Did he even have the courtesy to kill someone on his way out?

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If anyone lists the time I was "last active," I'm going to start dead-bolting my front door...

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Today at 1:36:05 p.m., you PMed 21 asking what she was wearing. Then you logged off, made a bologna sandwich, scratched yourself, then popped some whacking material of an indeterminate nature into the DVD player.

10. RichJohnson

RichJohnson New Member

It's been 24 hours, for Gad's sake! I have a job that starts at 6am.
    So hold your bladder and I'll work on a comprehensive reply/thanks/snark in the next hour or so.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, hurry the fuck up you rude biatch!

Just kidding, as I would hope you'd know.

Take another 30 minutes.

12. RichJohnson

RichJohnson New Member

I've split this up into pieces so it will fit.

Starting from the first responses, here I go:

Thanks to all that says they still use the site and still subscribe to the Daily Links Service. Strokes are always nice. Same thanks to those who say they haven’t used the site in years. It’s all educational.

Same five columnists? Usual suspects? Newspapers only…no Web sites? Guilty on all counts. It’s always been a subjective list, and yeah, we (the three of us who construct the links) have our favorites. And we also have a time element. All of us have day jobs (in my case, a day job that begins at 6am, and sometimes takes me out of town at short notice).
    We have to cut it off somewhere, so I decided long ago to stay mostly focused on the papers. I tend to stick to the major markets. Mike will go deep into smaller towns, especially during college football and basketball seasons. Rob does a better job of ‘seeing’ auto racing and golf stuff.
    We also got early complaints about the DLS list being too long. So the papers are the focus.

Double Down’s complaint is typical of many I get. I have pleaded and pleaded with people to email all three of us with story suggestions. Still I get 4-5 emails a week only addressed to me. And most days I’m not doing the links, and don’t get to my email until later in the morning.
    I long ago stopped losing sleep over missing a good story. I still think we find more gems than we miss. But yeah, we’re gonna miss gems. It’s amazing how many times people take it as a personal insult.
    I also get snarky emails over stuff that make the Top Ten from writers who didn’t make it that day. I guess it’s a backhanded complement over how big a deal it still is.

Not as thorough as they used to be? That could be ‘link fatigue,’ which we all came down with years ago. This does wear you down.

After all this time, it’s still interesting to see a comment from someone who still doesn’t get the Net and the concept of linking.
    Yeah, I’m talking about you Mizzougrad96 (if that’s your real name!). I don’t recall releasing my list of posters when we gave up our bulletin board. I kinda remember purging that list from my server.
    ‘Sports editors who allow him to link to their sites’???? Come on, are you really that net-stupid? Every link, from the Top Ten to the NY Times site, sends you to that site, away from Sportspages. I can’t believe I’m correcting someone about this in 2006. Sure you’re not George Solomon (who thought I was stealing his paper’s content back in ’01… and turns into ESPN’s ombudsman)?

Draft saved Draft deleted