1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportspages.com -- Anybody still care?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RichJohnson, Oct 29, 2006.

1. You know, in hindsight, the mere idea that a few very influential people in the business would be so threatened by the idea of the rank-and-file plebes stating opinions the powers-that-be might not approve of on a message board that they would threaten Rich with litigation sure makes them look like a bunch of thin-skinned, immature pricks.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

What the FUCK is this?

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

The Daily Top 10 has reminded me of the heavyweight boxing rankings -- often there seemingly aren't ten good ones, so you just pick a familiar name, someone who used to be a contender.

I wouldn't stayed glued to 10. Just link to the best stories on a given day or in a given week, as many as quality can justify. And if you come across something a day or two later, throw it in.

YHS, etc

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Remember when one of the organizations, I forget which one, moved a guy up in its rankings who had died about a year earlier?

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr J,

Logical extension: Jim Murray might be in tomorrow's Top 10.

YHS, etc

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I use the regional sports section links, especially when I'm hunting down something from a smaller rag. But that's about it.

7. JackS

JackS Member

This is not a rant, but updating standing links on directory pages has obviously never been a priority at SP.com. Lots of broken links have been the norm as long as I've been familiar with the site.

From building my own page, I know what a pain in the ass it is to keep checking links. That's why I don't even attempt to put every paper on mine. I'm satisfied with just having the major papers and making sure the links work. More than that becomes a full time job.

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Rich: Add me to the list of people who want sportspages.com to remain. I don't know where I'd be without it. I'm a newspaper junkie. I don't know anything about this top 10 people are talking about but I know there are 10 or more sports sections in the country I like to look at every day and your site is where I get that. I feel like I'd be lost without it, so thanks.

Dan Castellano

9. tommyp

tommyp Member

I third that. To me, that's the first sign of carelessness.

Then again, seeing that you're asking for feedback on this forum instead of your own site should be an answer to your question.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I still like the top 10. I question some of it.. the Washington Times seems to be represented a lot more than they would seem to merit. When I have seen the free links, it provides a good supply of information but unless you were working in a particular area, I couldn't see paying for it because you wouldn't have the time to read all of that unless you were in the business full-time.

But you know Rich, the Internet has evolved. People can post an article here or just post their own opinion. When you decided not to have the forums, you talked about the bitterness and expressed your opinion that it wasn't worth the time or effort. You asked for opinions about starting it up again, and you rejected the idea.

Well, a community has formed here. It may be raucous and ridiculous at times, but there is a certain democracy of information here and people benefit. People share information and I have gotten a couple of opportunities through this board. In a newspaper, I got the rinky-dink assignments and other people got the columns. Here, I can make my points against somebody like Whitlock (whom I appreciate because he posts here) and if my arguments are logical and coherent, I can hold my own. And I think Whitlock posting and arguing with people here helps keep him in touch with people.

Rich, you said this couldn't work. Webby has made it work.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You mean they didn't cross him off the list? :)

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ditto

Draft saved Draft deleted