1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportspages.com -- Anybody still care?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RichJohnson, Oct 29, 2006.

1. RichJohnson

RichJohnson New Member

Yep, it's a sincere question. I need to know if it's worth carrying on. We're eight years old and still scratching. Of course, this site is five years old thanks to our short-lived forum crashing under the weight of veiled lawsuit threats.

But the folks who run this joint have stuck it out, making it much more 'sticky' than SP, which is a true 'drive-by' site.

So, the question is: Does anybody still need our long lists of links? Does anybody need our set of eyes to find the best stories of the day?

Feel free to email me directly or respond here. My kevlar vest is tightly secured.

Rich Johnson

2. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Rich,

Please keep the site going.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'll second that emotion.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

This could be better than the Jemele Hill thread.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

rich

we love you and need you. i couldn't imagine life without sp.com!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Leon Carter says yes, keep the site alive.

7. Sly

Sly Active Member

Yes. But stop featuring the same five columnists every day.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I love the site. Haven't been able to check it out as much as I'd like to recently, but I recommend it to all of my young employees.

9. JackS

JackS Member

Rich,

I feel for ya man, but you never should have jettisoned the forum, which was *obviously* the bigger draw, and that's hardly hindsight speaking. Either you get rid of the headaches and the potential, or you keep 'em both. You chose the former.

If I was to make a suggestion it would be to get in touch with the folks who run this site and see if they have any interest in bringing the two back together under one banner.

10. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

At one point, I did have a brief conversation with Rich about a merger. However he elected not to proceed. Of course, if Rich is interested I'd be open to hearing from him.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Rich,
    Love your links. Too rich for my blood. Would a lower price raise your subscription totals?

12. Rich

I loved your site. And I like your daily top 10 (my idea). But the thing I love about the Internet is that it pays little respect to Switzlerland-like ideas. You needed to grow a pair and give your site an edge, the forums, etc.... I'd close up shop or try to hook up with this site. I probably only visit your site twice a week. I now come here looking for sports news I can use. You have to wade through a lot of crap, but it's worth it. These guys rarely miss a good story.

What needs to happen is for this site, sportspages.com and a deadspin/thebiglead need to all get together....One-stop shopping for everything I'm looking for...

Draft saved Draft deleted