1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SportsFanLive.com Exclusive: Sex Offense Clouds NFL Draft Status Of Lineman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JennaLaine, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ms. Laine, I shifted it back in that direction as did several others and I fear now you've shifted it back. Points have been made, please address them.

2. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

Mod, thanks for shifting the attention back to where it belongs and giving me the benefit of the doubt. I want to answer these questions one by one when I'm in a better position to do so and not pressed for time, or on company time (lunch break or after work).

3. Moderator1

Cool.
    And, look, you're new here. You seem earnest and honest and I like all that. I hope you continue to hang out, both to have some fun and take advantage of the actual professional opinions you can find. My personal network has exploded since I starting running with this crowd.
    But one thing you must understand is that some people - some of them who fancy themselves as comedians, some of them who are just assholes - will show up on almost every thread. Read over it and deal with the rest. If it gets too bad, we knock it down. But we don't get to everything that should be removed.
    Don't let the assholes get to you. It's what they want.
    DON'T LET THEM WIN!!
    Or something like that.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This will fall into the 99 percent of what Mustangj17 says is tomfoolery, but Jenna-Laine.com sounds like a site that is NSFW.

5. Moderator1

Assholery is more like it. Seriously, why post something like that other than to be mean?

A lot of the young people who sent me stuff during my Reign of Terror had their own Web sites, with resumes and links to their work posted. Know what? They were usually the one's who made the cut. They cared. They took time. They had the sense to take advantage of the tools of the Web.

This kid has done nothing to bring this kind of ire. You want ire, go after that asshole who was all about himself and bleacher report.

And, yes, I realize I'm sounding a lot like an overprotective father here. I have my reasons. This is a struggling business and many young people are turning away from it (and might should). A young one who gives a shit earns a little encouragement from me.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Moddy--If this makes me an 'asshole' so be it, but this reporter revealed/exploited the identity of a 15 yr old victim of a sex crime, which to me is just deplorable and completely unnecessary in this story.

I understand your desire to protect a new member who appears to be trying to launch a career, but very sad to me that no one was protecting the interests of the sister.

8. Moderator1

Hey, I'm all about that 21 - I asked the question myself. The STORY is subject to criticism/attack/whatever. My complaint is too many wanted to jump on her for posting just a link, for trying to get pats on the back, making fun of her name. That's my issue.
    The story? Fire away. I've done it myself. Wasn't I the first one to bring up the sister issue?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The prosecutor would have the discretion in charging. He/she could charge none, one, or both. Gender, I think, obviously would play a role in this decision, as would the fact of who initiated the sexual relationship or who the complaining witness identifies as the "victim" and the "aggressor". I'm sure there would be other factors, too.

For me, it's difficult to see how any incest comes to light on its own. I suspect the most usual way is if a pregnancy results, but even then there can be a cover-up as to who the real father is. Another way it might come to light here is if an adult complained about it, such as a social worker, friend or family member.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Personal insults aside, no one here will be any harder on a writer than the readers. There was good reason to see her post as a none too subtle form of self-aggrandizement. It still belongs in the workshop forum, but gee, more people read the Sports & News board. At its heart, the piece was muckraking pure and simple minus any real importance -- an obscure player who had his day in court, and is trying to move on. This isn't a Richie Parker witchhunt.

I suspect this story would have been rejected in a pitch meeting, and for good reason, as the writer ended up way in over her head. It's irresponsible.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is why you don't include the sister part in the story.

What happened to the discussion about the player's draft potential? The player's redemption? All thrown to the side while there is this total speculation of consensual sex by an alleged sister, based on what? The word of some scouts and an agent. Great journalism. Pretty sad that this is even of interest to readers.

12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I'm bothered by the idea that courts still use gender as one of the reasons to charge or not charge. Age, yes, and aggressor, yes. But obviously females can also be the aggressor.

And maybe I'm reading wrong the Texas Dept. of Public Safety record linked with the story, but it looks like the girl received probation. The record also has way too many identifying characteristics and should never be posted for public consumption like this. Again, where are the editors?!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.