1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SportsFanLive.com Exclusive: Sex Offense Clouds NFL Draft Status Of Lineman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JennaLaine, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

1. Yeah, it's the incest -- illegal.

2. Depends which state on the statutory rape. In my state, that would not have been statutory rape.

2. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

This can't be a serious question.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think it's creepy & gross, but if it was consensual, then I didn't think it qualifies as statutory rape because he was only 16 and she was 15.

I guess I've never considered the legality of incest. It was a legit question. I was just wondering if their was more to the story.

4. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Fair enough. I just thought it was universally understood that incest was illegal. Pretty much every country and culture agrees on this one issue.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I'm curious if the girl also has a record that will follow her forever. Shouldn't she be a registered sex offender too?
    So many questions/holes in this story, though I am happy it included detailed thoughts from an expert on adolescent sex offenders, including his wish that society should do its best to mainstream juveniles whenever possible.

And as an aside, I hate when articles quote unnamed "scouts." It happens all the time, in every sport. And most often it diminishes the article's legitimacy.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That was part of what made me curious. If it was incest that made it a crime, weren't they both guilty of a crime?

Also, sodomy & adultery are illegal in many states. (Or did the Texas sodomy case end that?)

Anyway, you don't see a lot of prosecutions for adultery.

Would a prosecutor charge a 16 year old with incest if the act was purely consensual?

According to the article, the only people describing it as consensual are his college coaches & two unnamed NFL scouts.

Who, besides Washington gave them this information?

And the only one contending that they are now on good terms is Washington's agent.

Maybe there's nothing more to the story, but I still think there are more questions to be answered before I believe I've heard the whole story.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"Hey, I wrote this... Now pat me on my head and tell me I did good..."

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I wonder if the sister has grounds to sue the writer for outing her. I good editor would know. Welcome to the new 'journalism.'

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

She's one of the boys. Pat her on the ass.

10. For somebody who thinks this raises some important issues, I noticed she hasn't checked back to address any posters' questions.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, there are lots of questions, that's for sure. I am eager for some answers.

That said, I don't get the sense that Ms. Laine was looking for pats on the back. She's new here and I think she thought it legitimately worthy of discussion (though if so, I guess she'd participate beyond her brief appearances). I notice, as usual, people were quick to jump on her for just posting the link. With her being new and not being a problem child thus far, how 'bout you pipe down with that kind of thing.

It's sort of like just about every thread starting with "hope this isn't a d_b" because we know the d_b police are waiting to jump with both feet. You know what? Big deal. If it is a d_b, we'll lock or delete. Do a search as best you can and post away. If you miss it, you miss it. Too many people are lying in wait, eager to jump on what they see as improper board protocol. Sometimes I have no doubts about why people think we're assholes.

Carry on. Again, good questions are being raised. I'm hoping for some answers. I think Gingerbread hit on excellent points. Ms. Laine shows some willingness to work as a reporter. She seems to need a good editor.

12. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

I'll address questions when this thread shifts from a 'personal attack' back to the content of the story itself. I have no problem with people being critical of the story, the subject matter, the way it was handled, etc. I'm totally open to that and I thank those who offered their input and kept it relevent. Really, thank you.

But I DO have a problem with people, such as Boom, who are fielding personal attacks on here like a bunch of wild vultures. THAT is what I have a problem with. If you think I posted this on here to get a 'gold star,' or to 'get a pat on the ass' then you are mistaken. Next time, if I do choose to post a story on here, I will make my intentions for posting clear, rather than just posting a link. Lesson learned. But until you have the guts to identify yourself, BY NAME, do not get all 'shark-tank' on me. I'm no minow, and at least I've been clear about who I am from day one rather than hide behind a computer screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.