1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportscenters' fakakta stats

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Clarification: It was Fox Sports Indiana. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous, but it provides some context into why they wanted to hype up a random Pacers mediocrity like Thad Young.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Living in Indiana, I'm all too familiar with their work. But also to be fair, they're probably just trying to break up Quinn Buckner's never-ending stream of consciousness with something, anything.

playthrough likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

LeBron is the only player in NBA history with at least 30,000 points, 8,000 rebounds and 8,000 assists

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK yeah that was it.

He was also the only player in NBA history with 30,000 points, 7,900 rebounds and 7,900 assists, right?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The whole matter of made-up records should bother us, though. Like the fuss when UConn's women's basketball team won more consecutive games than UCLA's men's team, or Ichiro's combined homers in Japan and the US surpassed Bonds.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

When I was creating this thread, that dumb sportscenter 'record' came into my mind.

Just stoopid.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't get the animosity toward this stat. Yes, the numbers are odd, but they are all common, mainstream stats.

That's a really remarkable group. Four of the top 10 players of all time -- and that's being really conservative -- and Thaddeus F'ing Young.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How many did it without aid of the 3 point line? 30% from 3? That’s pretty arbitrary but not as arbitrary as 49% from the field. How many did it with 50% FG and 29% 3 pt?
    Chamberlain did it every season from 60-61 to 71-72.

If you look just at stats, Wilt is the greatest player in history. He has 9 seasons of 30+ points a game and 20+ rebounds a game. LeBron ever do that, once? Larry? Magic? Oscar? Wilts worst rebounding season is twice as good as LeBron’s best.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

In the early 1990s, I was one of these guys on a micro level. First in high school, then with the Division III college I attended.

I could find something nice in the stats to say about anyone. I remember one graduating senior who only played garbage time ... but had the team’s second-best assist-turnover ratio in league games.

With a little foresight, I may have had a career in that.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

800 games to average 13.5 points, 5.9 rebounds, and 1.4 steals.
    Yeah, I can’t tell you how many nights I’ve spent in bars discussing the historic 1.4 steals mark.
    GTF out of here with that stuff.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wilt is the only player in the NBA history to have 30000 points 20000 rebounds and 4 thousand assists.

Kareem still leads in career points. He made 1 3 point field goal in his career IIRC

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And this is why YouTube exists.

Draft saved Draft deleted