1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SportsCenter Top 10 home runs of the first half

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jul 11, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

Tadahito Iguchi's grand slam in the ninth to tie Houston (after his three-run shot the previous inning) doesn't make it.
    A.J. Pierzynski's last strike home run to beat the Cubs on national television in Wrigley Field? Nope.

Plenty of Big Papi, A-Rod and Barry Bonds, though.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I gave up on their bullshit lists a few days ago when they did the Top 10 defensive plays of the first half. They ranked Iguchi's play — where he dives on a high hopper, catches AND THROWS IT before hitting the ground to get the guy at first — No. 5 or 6 behind a bunch of bullshit over-the-wall catches, including one by Raul Fucking Ibanez.

Over-the-wall catches I see a lot of in highlights — Iguchi's play I don't.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Did Dunn's walk-off grand slam make it?

4. 85bears

85bears Member

Yes.

I hadn't watched SportsCenter in weeks and weeks and weeks. But my paper was wet today, so I had to do something to stay occupied in the morning. So I turn on this and think I'm going to get to relive some great White Sox homers of the first half. And instead I get, "At No. 2, Barry being Barry!!!"

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did Zimmerman's home run against the Yankees make it? How about his home run against the Marlins?

6. Turnbull AC's

Turnbull AC's Member

How about Loretta's shot on Patriot's Day?

7. Freelance Hack

Iguchi's play should have been higher, as should Bill Hall's catch last week.

Gary Matthews Jr.'s catch should have trumped Rowland's catch, however. Yeah, over-the-wall catches are pretty cliche, but Matthews had some serious hang time on his catch.

8. Turnbull AC's

Turnbull AC's Member

How about Loretta's shot on Patriot's Day?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My top 10 list any year would include 10 inside-the-park homers. Now dem's something different.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Sarge's catch was No. 1, and justifiably so. Iguchi should've been top 3. Perhaps the White Sox would have more highlight homers if they didn't play baseball in a goddam launching pad.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Did the Brandson Inge play make it? The one against the Cards when he dove across the foul line, snagged the ball and threw from one knee while falling back.

12. Freelance Hack

IIRC, ESPN listed Matthews No. 2 and Rowland No. 1. I'm sure Rowland's catch being on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball had absolutely nothing to do with that. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted