1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SportsCenter outdoors in Cleveland; what's the point?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by old_tony, Nov 19, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

SportsCenter has been broadcasting from a desk outside in the cold in downtown Cleveland in advance of tonight's Cavs-Spurs game.

In what way does putting the anchors outdoors for hours in temperatures in the teens enhance the viewing experience? Other than all the technical difficulties we've gotten to laugh at?

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

because LEBRON!!
    During my TV career, we would have producers and higher-ups want to go live from whatever event was on the schedule because we could. It's a stunt that I'm sure 90 percent of the audience doesn't even notice.

3. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

yeah, even if it were nice out, it's a freaking early-season nba game

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We've officially run out of things to bitch and moan about.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Because it makes their nipples hard.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd rather see them outside in Buffalo.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A little birdie in the meetings to bring this to Cleveland told me that ESPN had never been more pleased to be on location than they were when SportsCenter was here for the Cavs opener. ESPN begged, begged, BEGGED to come back for today (and at least one more time next spring) in the exact same spot. I'm sure they have heaters and lights to keep them warm. They've been cold when on location for College Football Gameday, so that's not a real concern. I'm sure the anchors can walk into one of the buildings between shows or during commercial breaks if they get really, really cold.

I also know the fire department is not happy with the location because it's at the end of a street without easy access for emergency vehicles as it is, and this makes it more difficult. So what if a BOMB goes off??? A week ago this was a no-go. The City of Cleveland tried to stop ESPN from returning and even suggested, well, what about having them come over here or over here or over here? ESPN said no, they want it in the exact location it was because it is in the shadow of the Q and a really happening street.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Was the little birdie using the blue font?

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, we know what's leading off Sportscenter tonight.

Never mind we could have the greatest upset in college basketball history, the death of a beloved athlete and the arrest of a high-profile sports figure all in one night.

It'd be all about Cavs-Spurs. Because LeBron. (Shakes head)

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Nope.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Can't even watch ESPN when they get rolling with the NBA coverage. It is so far beyond what the actual interest is nationally that it's comical. It seems that there's a feeling that because the Knicks, Celtics and other northeast teams have loyal followings, that more people care than actually do. One might expect that the NHL and NBA would get somewhat equal coverage, and it drives me nuts that they basically ignore hockey. Even though I don't care about either sport all that much. Can't wait to see them bury NASCAR now that they've lost that contract too. I understand the mentality to some degree to promote your big shows, but they take it to an absurd level.

Then there's LEBRON. So, so sick of them slurping that guy.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So if Favre announces a comeback, the Cowboys sign Tebow as a backup, A-Rod decides to retire and Krzyzewski gets hired by the Lakers tonight, what leads?

Draft saved Draft deleted