1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SportsCenter My Wish

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Jul 10, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Anybody been watching these this year? Yeah, I know they've been doing them every summer over the past several years, but I've been watching them this year, and I can honestly say that I haven't been able to keep a dry eye during any of them.

With all the unoptimistic news in the world today, it's pretty cool to see stories like these.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

Re: SportCenter My Wish

yup.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Chris Paul one absolutely blew me away. I could not believe how kind he was to the kid with whom he was playing. At lunch, Paul was asking all sorts of questions about how and when he got sick, and on the ride back from their lunch, Paul told the kid he was tougher than anyone he knew. Wow.

I IMd a friend of mine who covers the NBA and asked him if Paul was a good guy. He said he is, without any doubt at all, one of the very best in the league. He definitely won me over the other night.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

WFW.

Having met and worked with Chris Paul personally through my work at a previous employer, he is genuinely that way. He is that engaging even when the cameras are not rolling.

However, I'm sure his "critics" will throw out the below-the-belt shot against Hodge a few years ago and label him an asshole. Whatever.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The story about him setting the scoring record in high school after his grandfather's murder is heartbreaking.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Definitely ... scored 61 points to match his grandfather's age at his death (missing a FT on an and-1 on purpose to finish at 61):

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3387106&categoryid=2459788

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Paul story was a great one. They bat about .200 on these, but that one was great.

8. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Bumping because this year's series starts today, and one of the kids featured is from my area. I volunteer with MaW, and I worked with one of the wishgranters who helped put together his wish on another kid's wish. She's convinced it's going to be a full 30 minute special because of how much they filmed.

I haven't had a kid with a sports wish yet, but one kid's backup wish cracked me up - a teenage boy wanted to be the quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs because "they need the help."

Yeah, the packages are summer filler and schmaltz and filled with tinkly piano music. And I'm sure we've all heard similar stories from other sports teams. But it's so meaningful to these kids, and I've enjoyed them a lot more since I got involved with the organization from the inside.

9. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I've only seen the promo spots for them, but did one kid choose to hang out with LaDainiana Tomlinson? What, did he send the paperwork in three years ago?

10. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

He couldn't be any worse than Brody Croyle, I say give him a shot!

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ron Dayne was the first choice, but he was busy.

12. CR19

CR19 Member

At least Tiger Woods couldn't do one of these things. Can't say the same about Ben Roethlisberger, unfortunately.

Draft saved Draft deleted