1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writing Opening at The Evening Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by standard, May 7, 2008.

1. standard

standard New Member

To all interested parties: The Evening Sun in Hanover, Pa., will have an opening in its sports department as of May 12. The position is primarily as a prep sports writer since that is our bread and butter coverage, but we also serve two colleges (Gettysburg and McDaniel) along with coverage of minor league baseball, the Baltimore Orioles and Baltimore Ravens, so consider this a general assignment job. This is a good newspaper for those looking to start out in the business, but candidates must write well, have a good, general knowledge of sports and be prepared to work hard, so only serious inquiries, please. Information may be sent to Sports Editor Chuck Curley at ccurley@eveningsun.com or sent to The Evening Sun, 135 Baltimore St., Hanover, PA, 17331-0514. We are looking to fill this position quickly.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Who's leaving now?

Pay sucks, but Chuck and Dan Graybill, the ASE, are good people.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is it the guy they just hired?

From what I hear, pay your own way to interview and they put you up in a hotel. They won't help with moving expenses. Pay is below 25k.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Pay definitely is $25,000.

If you have family in the area, it's a good deal.

If not and you have to pay for an apartment, it can be a struggle.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Are you sure? I heard from a good source there that it's 23.5k

7. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

At any rate, Chuck Curley sounds like the name of a sports editor in a movie/novel. Which is to say, that's an awesome name.

8. slatter

slatter Member

Job sounds pretty good for a recent college grad (like me) who is looking for a first job. Plus, Hanover is only 50 miles away from Baltimore, which means I would be close to College Park.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Meant to say that pay definitely *less* than $25k. Wouldn't be surprised if it were lower than $23k.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Marc Charrise, the editor, does the hiring. You'll probably here from him first if you get a call.

11. orphanbully

orphanbully New Member

Wicked,
    Have you ever worked 60 hours a week under Chuck Curley? I'm not calling you a liar, but the only people who like Chuck are people who have never worked for him full time.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Orphan is right: haven't worked with the guy. But when you see the guy on a regular basis and see a-holes of various stripes in the biz, you make comments like I did.

Draft saved Draft deleted