1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writing internship, Daily Chronicle (DeKalb, Ill.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by WrIIter, Apr 28, 2008.

1. WrIIter

WrIIter Guest

Still looking for the right internship opportunity this summer or fall? The Daily Chronicle (DeKalb, Ill.) is looking for an intern for its sports section for both the summer and fall. The internship will be credit-based and unpaid. The Daily Chronicle is located in DeKalb, home of Northern Illinois University. The intern will get the opportunity to be involved in all sides of the operation of creating a sports section and will also get to covers everything we cover, from recreation youth baseball to Division I football. The internship will be a great opportunity to work in a team environment and get battle-tested while learning the skills necessary to score a full-time position upon college graduation. This position is the perfect opportunity to get those much-needed clips you'll need while working with a top-notch editing team. Hours are negotiable but interns will be expected to work at least 16 hours per week. Applicants should send a resume and writing samples to Daily Chronicle sports editor Jon Styf at jstyf@daily-chronicle.com or by regular mail to: 1586 Barber Greene Rd., DeKalb, IL 60115.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This shouldn't even be posted. Real jobs mean you make real money.

3. Why not? There are college students on this board, and someone will want experience badly enough to be willing to work for free. You have to get in the business somehow.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hell, I'd rather work in Roswell and make some money than do an internship for free in this business.

5. nos19

nos19 New Member

I live about 4 hours from DeKalb and I use to live in Chicago so I have family and friends there, but I already have an internship lined up for the summer.

Plus there's the fuel concerns.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

OK.

So, are you trying to tell folks not to take this internship or were you just giving an update on your life?

7. nos19

nos19 New Member

Its' a no :(

8. Of course you would. So would any journalist who's out of college. But a college student can't take that job, certainly not without experience. This isn't aimed at people who aren't in college. As long as there's no requirement that all on this site must be out of college, this has validity. College students have to get experience somehow.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Ah, put like that I agree.

I was just saying someone that has graduated should try to get a paying job.

And Roswell probably would hire someone who is still a college student.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Of course they would. The college student might stick around for more than a year.

11. goldy220

goldy220 New Member

12. Someone who was graduating in a couple weeks, yes, no question. But do you think Roswell would hire someone who still had additional semesters to complete in the fall? Those kind of people, the ones who still have to return to school after this summer, appear to be who DeKalb is after.

Draft saved Draft deleted