1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writers really, really love Marriotts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Sep 23, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Never made it to the Marriott level of sports writing. Best I could usually hope for was a semi-clean Comfort Inn and pray the mileage and reimbursement came through before the next light bill.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

To be that guy, I'm pretty sure Lopresti isn't in Indianapolis

I also know the only time I was put up in them was with a company that had deal with them. Granted that was only when HR set up travel.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't know where you're finding a Hampton Inn for $69 a night.

Beauty of Marriott points is you can accrue them at all of their properties, and it's easy to find reasonable rates at Fairfields, Courtyards and TownPlace/Springhill Suites. I don't travel nearly as much any more on my own (twice this year I've stayed in staff rented houses at long tournaments), but I try my best to stay at one of those properties if the price is right, and it usually is.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, Hampton ain't cheap, but they do have free hot breakfast, so there's that ...

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Protip: The TownePlace Suites in El Segundo is the cheapest, nicest, and fairly centrally located hotel in Los Angeles County; it's been my frequent experience that you can not find a less expensive hotel anywhere (well, that is if you aren't willing to risk losing a kidney in the parking lot).

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I haven't been back that way since I lost my wallet there some years back.

Big Circus and dixiehack like this.
  7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I've known guys that did this but they weren't covering MLB teams. I did the same with Choice Hotels International, which is a bunch of lower-rate hotels like Comfort Inn and Sleep Inn. Earned a ton of points and still use them today.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Some guy came into the gallery today and said he's from Texas but lives in Nashua and is moving to El Segundo in 2 weeks.

9. Songbird

El Segundo means The Second.

Don't get it. Is it a religious term? Second coming of Christ?

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It was Chevron oil co.'s second major refinery in L.A.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Wikipedia says it came from Standard Oil because it was home to the second oil refinery on the West Coast.

Songbird likes this.
  12. Songbird

LOL. I bet Irwindale's "Irwin" has a great story too.

Draft saved Draft deleted