1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writers and drinking

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Sep 7, 2007.

?

As a sports writer do you consume alcohol and on what basis

1. yes, regulary

68 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. not a lot but sometimes

44 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. like a fish

14 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. seldom

38 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. never

27 vote(s)
    13.5%
  6. I think i need a drink before I answer this poll

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. I know this is not quite a "journalism" topic but it does involve sports journalists only. It seems like to me there is so much talk about covering games, and then getting drunk, smashed, plastered or at least buzzed afterwards, I wondered just how prevalent drinking is among the sports writers on this board.

I guess I will go first since I'm starting the thread. I never ever have bought an alcholic beverage with company money and I never have drank while covering an event. I rarely drink at all but will once in a while get the urge for a really cold frosty beer in a frozen mug. I know I'm most likely the oddball here but that's OK with me. I find it quite allright for others to drink, I just prefer to stay sober --- plus I really can't afford very many $3 or $4 beers.

What's the board's take on this?

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Sometimes and seldom are still "Yes."

3. yeah that was pretty unclear, i recognized that right away. I decided to edit it while you were posting I think. Anyway, it's a little better worded now, I hope.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

One-hundred percent teetotal.

The filter between my brain and my mouth barely functions as it is.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Like a fish, dude. Like a fish.

6. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I'm drunk right now...

7. 0-fer

0-fer Member

Like a fish. I don't know if it's my own personal situation or if it's just the nature of this business, or the way I do my job. To be honest, I wonder the same thing, Huckleberry. But I gotta say, when I've got a perfect page and something breaks -- and I love it, but it breaks up my page -- I damn-near drink myself into the next session. But I guess that's where it's at. There's always a next session. You gotta love it, and then you drink, drink, drink. Of course, that's a terrible, terrible answer, but I haven't met a sportswriter who doesn't drink. Have you?

8. 0-fer

0-fer Member

Following up, I've never bought an alcoholic beverage with company money -- like I have access to company money? I've also never drank while covering an event, nor have I ever drank during an event or on the clock. It's all about the 1 a.m. just-got-the-paper-out-and-the-Web-site-updated drink for me.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I used to drink a lot, but I realized I just didn't like the way it made me feel physically, either while I was drunk or buzzed, or the next morning. Now I'll have a beer once in a blue moon just because I like the way it tastes. But I won't drink more than one, ever.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You know, I was going to write that I can't remember the last time I got drunk, but there are those who could say that when the last time was yesterday.

11. After reading your other posts, I believe it.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A lot of it has to do with the hours, you're busting your ass to deadline at night and are too wired to do anything but drink enough so you can fall asleep, alone, in front of your television, with your cat at your feet, a burrito you forgot about congealing in the microwave and a 2 a.m. showing of Good Times on TV LAND when you are suddenly jolted awake by J.J. shouting "Dyno-Mite". Ah the life.
    Sportswriters should switch to meth.

Draft saved Draft deleted