1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer with El Paso (Texas) Times,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Dec 1, 2010.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Salary: $30,000 to $35,000

The El Paso Times is on the hunt for a high school sports writer. In job candidates, we look for journalists who are both productive and enterprising. You would be joining a small sports staff with big ambitions. Blog writing a must. Please send resumes and clips to the attention of: Chris Lopez, Editor, cvlopez@elpasotimes.com or mail to 300 N. Campbell Street, El Paso, TX 79901.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1149246

2. mtvsportswriter

mtvsportswriter New Member

If I wanted to increase my chances of getting murdered by a drug running illegal, I'd definitely apply for this gig.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

$35K probably would go a long way in El Paso ... if you live in Mexico.

4. esport12

esport12 Member

border/salary jokes aside, anyone have any information on this? who left? what's the shop like?

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Even with the violence the border, this still gets a ton of resumes, I am guessing. And I'm thinking $30-35K even goes far in El Paso.

6. nmsports

nmsports Member

No state tax in texas so that stretches the salary a bit.

7. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

And once they heard from your racist ass, your resume would be filed in the trash.

8. El Guapo

El Guapo New Member

Trouble doesn't find you unless you look for it.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_16675219

Fairly active beat with about 25 high schools ... may have to pitch in with desk work from what I understand. EPT was also named Texas APME newspaper of the year in the spring, if I'm not mistaken.

9. Seems like a good opportunity, except for the whole living in El Paso part. I've been once to cover the Sun Bowl, and quite frankly, one trip was enough for me. I wouldn't be at all disappointed if I never saw El Paso again.

10. mtvsportswriter

mtvsportswriter New Member

Truth hurts...Turtle Wexler....Tell me what I said that wasn't true? Americans are getting murdered near the border by DRUG SMUGGLING MEXICAN ILLEGALS all the time, asshole. Do the research, jerk, before you start calling people shit like this. Perhaps you should look in the mirror dickhead.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Please define "all the time." Because four murders in a city of 500,000 doesn't seem like a lot to me.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Been to El Paso once when my brother was stationed out there. Loved the place. Pissed he left before I got to visit again.

Draft saved Draft deleted