1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Wilson (NC) Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sam, I agree the Hammer will outlast us all.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

You know it, even though if you ask him I tried to kill him.
    Well, late to the party but hey if everyone is going to say something nice I might as well too. Loved working here and likely would still be either here or somewhere in the area had my home not come calling. Just a nice place to be for a while, easy drive to the beach (Myrtle Beach is about 3 hours away if you hoof it right).
    Does the paper still send guys to the ACC basketball tournament? That was a huge plus when I was there, even though I never went. I did however get to cover the Carolina Hurricanes NHL team in their lone Stanley Cup title so far, so that was an experience I will never forget.
    Paul is good people, still like to send emails about inside jokes and every once in a while make football picks as a guest picker.
    Can't recommend this job more.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I was SE at an eastern N.C. paper in the late 1980s and Ham was there then. And he was a veteran then! I don't know about now, but they even covered middle school games back then.

4. writingump

writingump Member

Threadjack alert: Living here in southern Illinois, I miss Bojangles.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Wait. They moved Wilson just down the road from Lexington?

6. Andrew Olson

Andrew Olson New Member

I'm a little disappointed that UF did not teach InDesign in an intro/required course for Journalism majors. Seems like a lot of publications want someone with InDesign experience.

UF's program for Journalism majors allows some electives, but you can tell which ones are meant for news reporting, telecom, magazine/feature writing and design. As an aspiring writer, I was told get published, get experience, get clips and network - apparently someone should have said learn InDesign.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If you've worked with Quark, InDesign is not that large of a jump. I learned on Quark, then self-taught InDesign years later. A few differences, but nothing that can't be learned fairly quickly.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I agree. It didn't take long for me to learn InDesign.

9. Andrew Olson

Andrew Olson New Member

I hate to threadjack this even further, but in three years of reporting, my experience has been 99% word processors (Pages, Word, Bean, Evernote, Google Docs). At the local paper (campus correspondent), student paper and the website I've written for, it has always been just e-mailing a file to the editor.

My last layout experience was using Pagemaker in high school. I think Pagemaker was outdated by then, but the school did not have the budget to upgrade.

Again, sorry to threadjack.

I know UF is updating the journalism curriculum, getting rid of some of the intro classes I took in place of new ones, hopefully those include InDesign for reporters.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yes, I agree that would a good move for universities to integrate that into their programs.

For you, mate, I would encourage you to learn some pagination skills when possible. The more skills a person has, the more valuable they are. If you work at a small or mid-size paper, many staffers need to be able to do more things. If you want to advance to a different company, learning extra skills won't hurt.

When my first paper went to Quark back in the early 1990s, we had a really rushed tutorial from a company called Baseview. But there was a lot we weren't taught. I recall spending night after night in the newsroom for an hour or two after deadline, reading the manual chapter by chapter and trying stuff out on the machine, making errors and learning one bit at a time. I needed those skills in order to survive.

Talk to a copy editor or your department head and arrange to have someone show you things. Try to learn a little at a time. I've taught several young workers how to paginate. It's a skill, but it ain't rocket science and YOU CAN DO IT! It will be worth your while.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I use the quark keys function. I guess that's cheating, but it made the transition smoother.

Draft saved Draft deleted