1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Williamsport (Pa.) Sun-Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

If you factor in the reality that there are way more low-paying jobs at less than wonderful papers than there are gigs at big papers that pay well to cover big-time beats, then this is not a bad job to pursue if you are right out of school or working at an even smaller, lower-paying rag.

As has been metioned here, the SE is good peeps (as are the other staffers there I have met) and there are at least some opportunities to do more than just preps. The town is far from wonderful, but at least is big enough to have some decent restaurants and what I hear is a pretty fair brewpub (have never sampled Bullfrog's brews, but hear good things).

Yeah, there are a lot of better places to work, but there are far more worse places.

(full diclosure: I never worked there, but did string for them years ago, have read the paper from time to time and know some staffers)

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Rather decent location, too. An hour or 90 minutes maybe from Scranton, three hours from Philly and NYC, pretty easy access to the entire northeast by I-80, 81 and 84 that allows you to bypass NYC entirely if you so desire. If you wanna do some road-trippin', this ain't a bad place to have for your home base.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ewww

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good place to score reefer?

Draft saved Draft deleted