1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, West Palm Beach, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The award-winning Palm Beach Post sports department seeks an energetic, enterprising reporter to cover the high-profile high school sports beat in Palm Beach County and the Treasure Coast. Candidates should expect to: constantly break news on the beat, both on-line and in print; update blogs daily; tweet news and info when possible; and plan and take part in weekly videos during the football season. This candidate should be well-versed in recruiting news, as the Palm Beaches is rich in potential college and pro atheletes. Candidates also must be well-organized and able to produce long-term enterprising stories, along with weekly and daily coverage. The candidate will work closely with another prep reporter to coordinate coverage and brainstorm ideas and also be responsible for seasonal sports previews and all-area team special sections. At least two years of daily reporting and writing experience is required; this is not an entry-level job.

Send resume and clips to Sports Editor Dave Tepps, 2751 S. Dixie Highway, West Palm Beach, FL 33405; Dave_Tepps@pbpost.com.

2. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I know they had two full-time prep writers. Is one of them leaving?

3. dm19

dm19 Member

Wow. I'm going to say it even though it should go without saying: This is a primo gig at the prep reporting level. What a hotbed of high school sports.

4. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

One is going to Gainesville to take over the Gators beat.

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I know Ben Volin was the Gators beat writer there. Assuming he's headed elsewhere?

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Salary range here?

7. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

New Dolphins writer.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Anyone hear anything on this?

9. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Yeah, I heard it had only been a week. They're probably still accepting apps at this point.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Layoffs in K.C. today? Maybe there's a writer who should apply for WBP job ........

11. dm19

dm19 Member

Just got an email from Dave Tepps saying they had more than 80 applicants and are narrowing it down to 3 or 4 finalists. I, however, was not one of them. It was a Hail Mary for me on this one anyway, but I really appreciate Sports Editors who do this.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Actually, I'm surprised he only wrote 80 applicants. Figured the number would have been through the roof.

Draft saved Draft deleted