1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer, West Bend WI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The West Bend Daily News, a division of Conley Publishing Group (CPG) is seeking a full-time prep sports reporter who is experience at writing game stories, features and columns. We’re interested in hearing from people who can find and tell stories, rather than just write minute-by-minute game accounts.

Successful candidates must have a track record of consistent performance, strong writing skills on tight deadlines, ability to layout sports pages and an agate section, and an eagerness to improve our sports section. Photography skill would be a plus.

A four-year college degree in journalism or a related field is required. CPG is an equal opportunity employer offering medical insurance, PTO and more. Send clips, resume and salary requirements to Jill Badzinski, Managing Editor, Daily News, West Bend, WI 53095 or e-mail HRD@Conleynet.com

2. BrewCrewFan

BrewCrewFan New Member

Anybody know the circ?

3. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

Circ is about 12k. PM me for more information. I will not talk about this position in the thread.

4. JB20

JB20 Member

The only thing I know about West Bend is that the high schools -- East and West -- are in the same building.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I will not talk about this position either ... because I don't know anything about it.

6. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

Well, I know quite a bit about it, that is why I am offering my help to anyone that PMs. Although, one of the teams in the area is called the Owls.

7. I worked at this paper 8 years ago.

Bad pay scale for an expensive living area. (Not that that's a stark contrast to a lot of metro jobs in this biz.)
    When I was there, it was a 2-person staff; the SE and 1 more. That wasn't actually that bad, though, with only 4 area HSs to cover - West Bend East & West, Kettle Moraine Lutheran and Kewaskum. The SE at the weekly down the road (same company) takes care of 2 more schools, Hartford and Slinger, with shared content. (At least that's how they did it when I was there.)

I mostly hated the job, but that was more because I hated the PM paper cycle, and that's just a matter of personal preference. The other major factor that caused me to dislike the job was because of personnel, which is no longer an issue. (Re: Said personnel is no longer there.) I loved living near Milwaukee, although I would have loved it even more had I made enough to sustain a non-Ramen lifestyle.

(edit add)
    BTW, Jill Badzinski is very good people. I very much enjoyed working with her.

8. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

Couple of corrections.
    First, it is no longer a PM paper, and second, there are now seven high schools in the coverage area. As for the ramen lifestyle, I wouldn't say that is entirely accurate.

Draft saved Draft deleted