1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer/Web Coordinator -- Huntsville (Ala.) Times,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Dec 15, 2010.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Huntsville Times, a 50K circulation daily in northern Alabama, is looking for a full-time sports staffer to help us expand our online and local presence.

Ideal candidates have a technological and social media savvy. The position will be responsible for promoting and planning our web content on al.com, with an emphasis on our high school and community sports teams. A successful candidate should be comfortable working with web publishing software (HTML, as well as familiarity with CSS and Movable Type or similar blogging software), basic video (shooting and editing) and engaging readers online with Twitter, Facebook and other social networking sites. An understanding of design software, Quark or InDesign, is a plus.

Candidates also should have strong writing skills and will be counted on to produce preps enterprise, features and game recaps for our more than 40 area high schools, as well as ensuring content and results are posted on al.com’s High School Sports Network.

This is not a copy-and-paste job; we’re looking for energized, enthusiastic candidates with their own ideas on how to help us connect with readers online and the vision to make our efforts successful.

Requirements:

A college degree in journalism or a related field and two years relevant experience. Strong writing and communication skills. Demonstrated experience writing and packaging digital content. Must be able to work a flexible schedule.

Candidates may send a cover letter, resume, work samples and references to The Huntsville Times: ATTN Sports Editor John Turner, 2317 Memorial Parkway SW, Huntsville, AL 35801. PDFs may be e-mailed to john.turner@htimes.com. No phone calls, please.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1219852

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Sounds like a good gig.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Things must be looking up at the Times after two rounds of buyouts in the last 18 months.

4. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

I say this with an admitted bias, but John Turner not only knows his shit and is one of the hardest workers you'll ever meet, but is also a blast to work with.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

And a haircut makes him look much less like Danny Noonan. Seriously though, Turner does good work and I'm sure would be great to work for.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Hmmmm ....

rb

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Definitely applying. Thanks for posting.
    It's this type of job that makes me so thankful I'm a closet computer nerd and minored in IT.

8. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

This.

Seriously, this is a young guy with lots of talent and fresh ideas. A real up-and-comer.

If I lived near Alabama (and if divorce lawyers weren't so damn expensive) ...

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's nice to see this one open. But the two rounds of buyouts should be a cause of some concern.

10. anonymous1

anonymous1 New Member

How quickly are they looking to fill the position?

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

this likely will be a good gig, but the website al.com, which includes content from h-ville, mobile and b'ham, is a gigantic cluster unless its alabama or auburn content.
    it used to be relatively easy to navigate. now, not so much.

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I'm with 2-under. The site has no aesthetics to it, but that being said, looks like every other every other site out of that chain.

If you're going to make your mark, it'll have to come in what you do video wise, but you won't have a lot to live up to with B'ham where standing in a lobby in front of a camera is the standard.

As far as engaging on Twitter, I'm convinced that is very hit or miss. At least in how you measure it. Is that measured in retweets? Is it measure in @'s? Is it measured simply in followers, which in my opinion is not a great way to measure anything, though many think it is. There are plenty of teens on Twitter that refollow anybody who follows them, and I know some that use that technique to bloat their numbers.

It's a great position, and I wish more papers would/could have a similar slot. I just don't know how you quantify the worth of that job. Good luck, HuntsVegas.

Draft saved Draft deleted