1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Warwick, RI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Warwick Beacon is seeking a full-time sports reporter to help cover the most exciting high-school sports scene in the state. The Beacon is published twice a week and is responsible for covering six area high schools. In the last year, we've covered seven state championship teams. We are looking for a reporter with a love for sports and strong writing skills. Knowledge of pagination and digital photography is a plus. Night and some weekend work is required. Those interested should send resumes and clips to sports editor William Geoghegan at The Warwick Beacon, 1944 Warwick Ave., Warwick, RI 02889 or e-mail williamg@warwickonline.com.

2. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

Like working for peanuts? This job's for you! 15-20K for full time?

3. doctorx

doctorx Member

Hey, that's darned good money in 1965.

4. DCguy

DCguy Member

This is my hometown, so if anyone is crazy enough to NOT run from $15-20k, PM me and I can tell you about Warwick.

5. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

where does it state a projected salary?

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

7. Public School

Public School New Member

$15,000 a year for a full-time position? That's insane.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

William's good people and a great writer. Beat me for columnist two years back, preventing a sweep and my ego from growing.
    I wouldn't call the area the most exciting on the high school sports scene in RI (southern half of the state bias there), but it's pretty good.
    The guys have done a good job putting out a great product despite being handcuffed by a lot of stupidity they have no say over.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Despite an absolutely ATROCIOUS layout template (the bottom HALF of their front page is an ad in addition to what appears to be a mandated weekly two column-wide sponsored 'Athlete of the Week' section that leaves them with all of four columns of room to work with), this is, by far, the best sports section in the state that I don't currently work for. :)

Every week my coworker and I compare our section to the rest of the local rags and, sure, we have a huge ego but even we admit that if these guys had the freedom to do their own thing, they'd be lethal.

It's a great opportunity for someone. Too bad the pay is shit or I'd consider hopping over there in a heartbeat.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Oh, and by the way, the person who "wins" this job will cover a ton of strong teams but be prepared to also have to shoot with rinky dink digital cameras.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I made $14.5 at my first post-collegiate job.

Of course, a nice apartment as $250 per month, gas was 85 cents per gallon and a car costs less than $10,000. Ah, the good ole days!

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's not that great of an opportunity if the bottom end of the pay range is less than minimum wage.

Draft saved Draft deleted