1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer wanted in East Liverpool, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 14, 2007.

1. SPORTS WRITER The Review, a daily newspaper in East Liverpool, Ohio, is seeking a full time Sports Writer to join its Associated Press Award winning sports staff. The qualified candidate must possess strong interviewing and writing skills, strong knowledge of sports and a command of the English language. A bachelor's degree in English, journalism or communications is preferred. Familiarity with the local sports scene is a plus. Benefits and 401(k) are offered. Send a cover letter, resume, references and samples of your work to: Rocco Longo, Sports Editor, THE REVIEW 210 E. Fourth St. East Liverpool, OH 43920 or e-mail to: rlongo@reviewonline.com

The Review
    Rocco Longo
    210 East 4th Street
    East Liverpool , OH 43920
    rlongo@reviewonline.com -- www.reviewonline.com

2. Ellgee

Ellgee Member

Ah, my hometown. The Evening Review. Won't be applying, though.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My freshman roommate was from here. She described it as a shithole. That's all I got.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

It is a shithole. That's exactly how I'd describe it. And i'm from a nearby shithole.

(I went online to see what the writers are like there and the editor wrote that Bonds is the all-time greatest Pirate, better than Clemente, because Bonds hit more home runs as a Bucco. Nice.)

5. Ellgee

Ellgee Member

When I was there, it wasn't quite that bad. But went through this summer and it wasn't pretty. Doesn't quite have the beauty of Salem. But about on par with Midland and Wellsville.

And Roberto Clemente the best? What about Marvell Wynne?

6. FWIW: The editor is an award-winning writer and (I think) columnist.

East Liverpool IS a shithole of the highest order.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You could always live in West Liverpool then.

8. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

John Havlicek country. Bonds probably would've been better than Clemente, had he stayed his entire career and avoided the creme, the needle, or whatever else he used.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Actually birthplace of Lou Holtz. And yeah, Bonds might've surpassed Clemente. But he was nowhere near as clutch, or inspirational. And Clemente won two rings, and would've won more MVPs in a more, ahem, tolerant time period.

10. Ellgee

Ellgee Member

No. Actually Holtz was born in West Virginia and moved to ELO when he was young. They do have the Lou Holtz Hall of Fame, or museum, or whatever it is.

The most famous things about the town: Former Olympian Aric Long is from there, as is Less Browne, who is like the CFL's all-time interception leader. It billed itself as "The Pottery Captial of the World" and Pretty Boy Floyd met his end just outside of town.

And, to paraphrase all the posters, it just doesn't look too good anymore.

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I grew up not too far from here. While much of NE Ohio leaves a lot to be desired, I wouldn't go as far as to call it a shithole. Granted, I've only been back one in 10 years, but I still don't think it's that bad. It is what it is. You also can enjoy some juvenile snickering by saying you live 25 miles from a town called Big Beaver. ;D

12. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Every time I'm on PA 60, I have to resist the urge to pull over and try to take the sign that says "Borough of BIG BEAVER."
    Yeah, I'm just that juvenile.

Draft saved Draft deleted