1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer Wanted In AZ, On Border

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by big green wahoo, May 17, 2008.

1. Company: Sierra Vista Herald
    Position: Talented sports reporter wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: June 20, 2008
    Job ID: 925407

Description:
    The Sierra Vista Herald/Bisbee Daily Review is seeking a sports reporter. Duties include covering three local high schools, outdoor and indoor non-scholastic sports, features, column writing, copy editing and page design. The ideal candidate will have a passion for sports and for the written word, and be self-motivated. The reporter also should be organized and efficient, both in working and writing. Requirements are: • Excellent reading and writing skills • Experience working as a reporter, preferably more than a year • Experience with page design preferred • Experience with Quark Xpress or Adobe InDesign (we use InDesign) • Have used Macintosh computers • Familiarity with sports and writing about them • A high personal standard of accuracy and attention to detail • A drive to learn and be part of a team • Can perform with great skill under deadline pressure • Knowledge of AP Style • Fearlessness • Curiosity about and compassion for people • Willingness to work flexible hours. The Sierra Vista Herald/Bisbee Daily Review are award-winning newspapers that have a total circulation of more than 10,000 daily. The Sierra Vista Herald’s office is located in beautiful Sierra Vista, about an hour and a half southeast of Tucson. Sierra Vista is a community located next to Fort Huachuca and the Huachuca Mountains. The community also is minutes from the Mexican border. If interested, please e-mail or send a resume and at least five writing samples to sports editor Matt Hickman at sports@svherald.com, or at the Sierra Vista Herald, 102 Fab Ave., Sierra Vista AZ 85635. No phone calls, please.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's hot, but not as hot as Tucson. Full of soldiers. Bisbee has had independent baseball in a rinky-dink league.

I have no idea of what the paper is like, though.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Three people (including the SE) are listed on the Web site as being in sports. That's better than some 10ks these days. Town kind of stripmalled, and I guess the high school is so big it competes out of its area against the bigger cities. Paper says there has been some crime growth as well.

4. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I believe Sierra Vista High or whatever it's called is a 5A Division I school, the largest class in Arizona. It could be 5A D-II though. Not really much of a difference in the AZ because there aren't that many schools, at least not enough to warrant as many classes as are in place. Never actually went to Sierra Vista, but I don't remember them being very good at much of anything. Guess I'm not much help, but I lived in a border town and consider it a worthwhile experience even though I didn't like it there towards the end. Gives you some perspective if you grew up in a medium-sized city in the midwest though.

5. Just a heads up that it's 112 degrees on the Arizona-Mexican border today.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. rascalface

rascalface Member

FWIW, it's Sierra Vista Buena High School.

Go Colts!

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, hell, it only feels like 108.

9. jps

jps Active Member

Nice glass of sweet tea will make it feel right around 103, tomas.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

didn't you say on another thread that only girls put sweatener in their tea?

11. jps

jps Active Member

you're lucky I like you, my friend.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i coulda swore ...

Draft saved Draft deleted