1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Wailuku, Hawaii

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jun 14, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Maui News in Wailuku, Hawaii, has an opening in its sports department for someone who can do a bit of everything -- write, copy edit and design. The ideal candidate can work the desk a few nights a week, but will also be available to handle breaking stories with some phone calls, or go out and cover a live event. On the desk, we're looking for someone who thinks about layout and presentation, and also takes the AP Stylebook seriously. We want a copy editor who checks facts and looks for typos,and who knows that mistakes on even the most well-designed page make a paper look silly. We also are looking for someone who respects the writer's voice, but isn't afraid to discuss ways to punch up a story. Applicants must have previous newspaper experience and an ability to design pages using Quark and Photoshop. The person hired will be part of a five-person staff and must be available for night, weekend and holiday shifts. All staffers handle a few phoned-in game results and type in agate and briefs at times. The Maui News is a morning paper published seven days a week. Submit cover letter, resume and design samples via mail to Brad Sherman, sports editor, The Maui News, 100 Mahalani St., Wailuku, HI 96793, or by e-mail at sports@mauinews.com. No phone calls please.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Can we get a link for the job?

3. Notice they asked for design samples and no writing samples. I'd say that should tell you enough about what they are looking for here. Even so, sounds like a pretty cool job to land.

4. Probably not, considering how expensive it is to live there.

5. Better hope for six figures with the cost of living in Hawaii (and no decimal points between any of those numbers, either).

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A.) This is my friend's job. She's moving back to the mainland because her son will start school in the fall.

B.) Brad is a top-notch guy. I have spoken with him many times, and my friend LOVED her time at this paper. You're not going to get six figures, but you won't need it. My friend took care of herself and her son, living in a rented house walking distance from the beach, for what they were paying. And she saved enough to move home. She covered the Maui Invitational as well as helping out with some prep stuff. She covered kayak races. She took amazing photos. The desk responsibilities are there. They always are. But it's not a bad shop. It's a great job with a great boss.

If you don't have strings and can afford to get your ass over there, I'd give this two big thumbs up.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I interviewed for a job on the island a while back, and if you have pets you probably don't want to apply. You still have to quarantine your critters under most circumstances, even if they're up-to-date on vaccines.

8. joe

joe Active Member

Maui folks, from turning down a design job there last year, are upfront about this: They do not pay moving expenses. Either sell your stuff, or pay to have it shipped there (prohibitively expensive). All things being equal (they weren't, unfortunately), I would have taken the job. The money is outrageous, but it's expensive to live on the islands (economies of scale). My friends are still pissed that I didn't. Great gig for someone with few ties or ones that can be accommodated.
    Brad, from a few PMs, is a good guy.

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

Had a friend move to Oahu a while back and he had to put his cat up for a month. He'd go and visit everyday, but he said it was a major pain in the ass.

10. Biancalana

Biancalana New Member

The ad has been updated to include writing sample:

The Maui News in Wailuku, Hawaii, has an opening in its sports department for someone who can do a bit of everything -- write, copy edit and design. The ideal candidate can work the desk a few nights a week, but will also be available to handle breaking stories with some phone calls, or go out and cover a live event. On the desk, we're looking for someone who thinks about layout and presentation, and also takes the AP Stylebook seriously. We want a copy editor who checks facts and looks for typos,and who knows that mistakes on even the most well-designed page make a paper look silly. We also are looking for someone who respects the writer's voice, but isn't afraid to discuss ways to punch up a story. Applicants must have previous newspaper experience and an ability to design pages using Quark and Photoshop. The person hired will be part of a five-person staff and must be available for night, weekend and holiday shifts. All staffers handle a few phoned-in game results and type in agate and briefs at times. The Maui News is a morning paper published seven days a week. Submit cover letter, resume and writing and design samples via mail to Brad Sherman, sports editor, The Maui News, 100 Mahalani St., Wailuku, HI 96793, or by e-mail at sports@mauinews.com. No phone calls please. When applying, mention you saw this ad on JournalismJobs.com.

As a former staffer in Maui and colleague of Brad's, I wholeheartedly recommend this job to anyone willing to try something new that will change their life. I spent two years there before moving on to Colorado Springs, so it's by no means a dead-end stop. Every time a job in Hawaii is posted on this site there are about 10 posts talking about how ridiculously expensive everything is and the costs of relocation.... I can tell you from experience that it's doable.

As far as the job, Brad tells me it's similar to the spot I had out there, which means mostly desk but ample opportunities to cover anything from junior surfing and preps to the Maui Invitational and Mercedes Championships. And for the designers, it's a paper that has a new press and willingness to let you have a little fun with creativity.

It's probably not for everybody, but somebody's going to get a hell of an opportunity out of this.

PM me if I can help.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I get to Maui every few years, don't really care to read the paper when I'm on vacation, but I have picked it up occasionally.
    About 3 years ago, what I saw, I could have produced that section by myself in about 3 hours. The only thing local was a photo of a rec league softball player swinging a bat, no story. The rest was wire copy and agate. Could have just been the time of year with nothing going on.
    Was there this past April and it looked much better, lots of preps, brief info on MLB games and agate. Oh yeah, a daily update on everything the Phillies' Shane Victorino did that day. Also, canoe racing is a blast.

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

Hmmm ....

Draft saved Draft deleted