1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Victorville, Calif., The Daily Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by luckyducky, May 5, 2007.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=773724

Thoughts, hate mail, seals of approval? Feedback of any sort?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Jackrabbits used to be in wrestling when I lived in LA. That was 17 years ago. Not sure if that's changed.

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

The good ol' Daily Mess.

You're in the high desert, so it's very hot in the summer. And windy about 360 days of the year.

Owned by Freedom, but don't think it will be a pipeline to the O.C. Register.

You're 90 miles from L.A. as it says, but also 180 to Vegas.

The area has changed and grown like crazy the last 10-15 years and it's not the desert outpost it once was.

I suspect you'll do a lot of motor racing stuff with two NASCAR races at California Speedway (about 30 miles away).

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

It definitely is cheap up there. Oh, and the High Desert is the meth capital of SoCal.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Not as cheap as it used to be. 300k now for not-big houses in no-pride-of-ownership neighborhoods. I know a lot about the area, so fire away if any questions.

6. 35in44

35in44 Member

Victorville is, um, interesting. The biggest plus I can say about the place is this: You're 2 1/2 hours to Vegas, 1-1 1/2 to Newport Beach and the same to Los Angeles or Manhattan Beach.

And...they have a church you can see from the Interstate that has a big, glowing blue-and-red cross. At least the last time I passed through it did. I know the area well.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Know it well as well. It's grown for the better, but it's still the High Desert.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Worked there in the early 90s and it's different, but still the WRONG end of the High Desert. ;D

The section is much, much better than it was when I worked there, Tim gets his writers out to cover not only NASCAR, but the two Champions Tour events in SoCal because of Mark "Beerman" Johnson -- one of the coolest stories out there.

Mile High and Left Coast nailed the situation there quite well. Nothing else to add.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Mark Johnson is awesome. Covered him winning a couple County Amateurs back in the day. Had his kid, who was 10d or so at the time, cady for him. Great, great guy and happy to see him succeeding.

10. JohnKeene

JohnKeene New Member

sounds like a winner to me... (quickly sending resume)

11. Editor

Editor New Member

semi-interesting story on Victorville...editor's job was open a couple of years ago, and the ME called me (an East coaster) to talk for nearly half an hour, sounding me out about what I did at my old gig and what I could do for him, then sent a follow-up e-mail to me...saying I was "invited" to be part of the preliminary pool of applicants. struck me as rather unusual that somebody would call long-distance to talk to a guy, then tell them on e-mail "yeah, you might be worth looking at."

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ever been to the vick?

Draft saved Draft deleted