1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Victorville, Ca.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Daily Press has an immediate opening for a sports reporter/page designer. Page design experience is required; knowledge of Adobe InDesign is preferred. Knowledge of video editing is a plus. We cover 19 high schools, a minor league baseball team, a junior college, mixed martial arts, boxing, local motor sports and two NASCAR events per year. Professional experience preferred, but exceptional recent college grads will be considered. Pre-employment drug test. This is a full-time position with benefits. Send resume, cover letter, references, four clips and salary history/requirements to Sports Editor Jeff Galian, JGalian@vvdailypress.com, or Jeff Galian, Daily Press, P.O. Box 1389, Victorville, CA 92393. www.VVDailyPress.com, EOE

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I know some quality people who have moved through there on their way to LA-area shops. Plus, the next time there's a significant astronomical event, just drive out toward Lucerne Valley and enjoy the show. It's wonderfully dark up there on moonless nights. Additionally, you are close to the Cajon Pass if you like to watch trains or overturned trucks, and you are proximate to the mountain resort areas as well.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Hmnn ... The Daily Press is a Freedom paper, for what it's worth, but is not a stepping stone to the Santa Ana flagship (not that the Register's steps are accepting new non-Angels bloggers anyway). It's easy to stereotype the area, and most of the stereotypes are true. It is not a strong economic region nor especially cosmopolitan, and there is a touch of criminal mischief. Some decent high schools sports on the mid-size level, and there are the windy High Desert Mavericks in Adelanto. No four-year college, and the JC only dabbles in athletics. Also, the Fontana track is losing one of its Cup races, so there will only be a spring event to cover.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

A pretty good summary, except you once had Mark "Beerman" Johnson to cover. A great story, the former beer-truck driver capped a remarkable climb in the golf world by winning Champions Tour Q School, then winning an event in 2005 by pitching in for eagle on the last hole at Newport Beach. However, Beerman's stock went dry a year or so after that and I'm not sure he's playing much anymore.

First paper I worked at out of college, for one of the worst bosses I ever had the misfortune of toiling under. The Register would rather go out of business than recruit from there, but the VV Press do/did send people regularly to San Bernardino, Palm Springs and occasionally Riverside.

This topic has been debated regularly here, but once again, the VV Press did and does employ the double standard of making their sports folks pull double duty, yet their newssiders report, write and go home. Pissed me off royally when I worked there and my disgust for the practice hasn't ceased in the 20 years since I worked there.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Covered the Beerman when he was winning county amateurs in the 1990s and his kid was caddying for him. Did a couple of features on him before he got onto the Champions Tour. Great guy. And he would certain tell you he's not from the Victor Valley but from Barstow.

6. smedley

smedley New Member

I must know a half dozen people who have worked for the Daily Press in sports over the past 30 years.
    The nicest thing any of them ever said about the place was that the wind blows constantly.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

That boss of Birdscribe's was a piece of work. The Daily Press did let non-DP writers file from their newsroom in the pre-Internet old days, so there is that. One positive (I'm trying, but it's a struggle): The apartments, safety and related issues aside, are cheap.

8. Quakes

Quakes Guest

That brought back some memories. Driving to and from Lucerne Valley -- or other places like Twentynine Palms, or Ridgecrest -- for football games on Friday nights was an experience. Nothing like driving in complete isolation -- on single-lane roads through the desert, under the moon and the stars -- to make you feel insignificant in the scheme of the universe (and a little worried that no one would ever find you if your car broke down).

I was there a long time ago, but the location did have its good points, some of which have been mentioned here. It's cheap. The weather's pretty good, on the whole. (A 100-degree there was fairly pleasant, I thought.) L.A.'s about an 75 or 90 minutes away; Vegas is about two and a half hours away. The mountains are pretty (and nearby).

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

100-degree day? Try 100-degree-plus for three months in a row. The wind blows like crazy. And L.A. is 75-90 minutes away if you drive down Cajon Pass at 4 a.m.

10. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I was never dumb enough to try driving to L.A. during the morning or evening rush, but it rarely took me more than 90 minutes if I went in between. As I said, though, that was many years ago, and I would not be surprised if traffic has gotten worse. (Google Maps tells me you're right.)

You're right about the wind, too. It made Mavericks Stadium a launching pad.

Draft saved Draft deleted