1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer - Vallejo, Calif. Times-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Company: The Reporter
    Position:
    Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    August 15, 2007
    Job ID: 802015

Description:
    The Times-Herald, a 20,000 circulation daily in the San Francisco Bay Area community of Vallejo, is seeking a sports writer/paginator who will be an integral part of our quasi seven-member universal desk.
    Candidates would be involved in prep coverage in Solano and Napa counties and some pro coverage (A’s, Giants, 49ers, Raiders), as well as the opportunity to write a weekly column. This position’s main focus will be as a member of a four-person sports team, but at least one day a week it also would involve helping the copy desk with wire or feature pages.

Experience with Baseview, Quark and the web is a plus, but not a requirement.

Please submit a resume, a brief cover letter of why you would be interested in this position, your best writing samples and any salary requirements to: Ted Vollmer, editor; Times-Herald, 440 Curtola Parkway, Vallejo, CA 94590, or e-mail tscjnews@thnewsnet.com.

From jjobs.com: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=802015

2. Rick Vaughn

Rick Vaughn New Member

Does anyone know anything about this paper? How's the cost of living?

3. I've got a little bit of knowledge about this position, so I can answer questions. It's a pretty good place to work, the newsroom has a good atmosphere and the four-person sports desk has a good time, but gets the job done. The writing part of this job mainly deals with prep sports, but there is definitely a chance to cover the pros. They just covered the All-Star game, and had something of a presence during the Warriors playoff run. Still, preps are the main game in town, and there are good teams in Vallejo.

The design side is interesting. After cutbacks, they asked the sports guys to help out with inside pages and arts pages. So one or two times per week, each sports writer has to get on a slot shift.

It's definitely a good place to start a career, and a great step up for someone from a small community daily.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

What would the pay be?

5. gauchoguy16

gauchoguy16 Member

I can vouch for this. Anyone who wants information about this paper, feel free to PM me.

6. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

any news on this one?

7. boots

boots New Member

I understand they're still looking.

Draft saved Draft deleted