1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Ukiah Daily Journal (Ukiah, Cali.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=963689

Small daily newspaper in beautiful Mendocino County, California needs a sports editor/page editor who can maintain excellence in prep sports coverage while taking part in page layout throughout the newspaper. Must have excellent Quark XPress skills, copy editing and writing skills, and be ready to work nights and weekends. Recent grads welcome if skills are there. We are looking to make sports key to our Web presence so be ready to make audio and video part of your life. Includes medical, dental, vision and 401k benefits. Send resume and clips to udjkcm@pacific.net or to KC Meadows, Managing Editor, Ukiah Daily Journal, PO Box 749, Ukiah CA 95482.

2. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

Stay away!

3. C'mon, dude. There should be a rule on here that you can't say that without at least somewhat explaining why.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

The only time I ever heard of Ukiah was in "Dragnet," which has been on HBO a lot lately. "Frank quit. Bought a goat farm. Moved to Ukiah." I'm sure it's a charming place.

5. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Have a friend talking to this place. What's wrong with it? PM me if you don't want to post in public.

6. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

OK, so maybe I was being a little harsh...

The area is gorgeous, and the town itself isn't too bad. It's small and a bit isolated, about 2.5 hours or so north of SF on 101. Santa Rosa's about an hour away...

The newsroom is just incredibly dysfunctional. I think they've been through like five SEs in the past two and a half years -- something ridiculous like that. If that's any indicator. Sports isn't a high priority in the newsroom (unless that's changed of late) and the department is very much an island.

That said, it is what you make it. If you want to bust your butt and do a solid job, the opportunity's there. No one's going to tell you no if you have some good ideas...

The sports scene's OK -- you cover a community college and a few high schools. As far as I know, the SE has a half-timer under him/her.

Oh, and it's a MediaNews property....

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm going to guess this is still true, since it says the SE must be ready to help out with page layout throughout the paper.

A one-man shop and you have to help out with design of the news pages?

Fuck that.

8. spud

spud Member

Kiss of death right here.

9. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

Yeah, basically you have to lay out a whole mess of news pages on Sunday cuz no one else wants to work that day. I imagine that hasn't changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted