1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer -- Times of Northwest Indiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hwkcrz1, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

can you work a broom?

2. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Funny you should say that ... just googled the average janitor salary, and guys in their first year make $21,871 --- which appears to be on par with what Go State said they were offering.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Custodian_Janitor/Salary

But, hey, as long as I don't have to sprinkle that sawdust-stuff on vomit, I'm game ...

3. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

Does anybody know the cost of living in this area? I know Chicago can be expensive, but I've been told that Indiana is cheaper than Illinois.

4. Jbrown1450

Jbrown1450 New Member

The general idea is that the farther away from Chicago you get the cheaper it is to live. Valparaiso proper, along with Chesterton to the north, definitely aren't the cheapest places to live in Northwest Indiana, but you should be able to find a place that won't break the bank, especially with Valpo U in town.

That's pretty general but fairly accurate. I've lived in the area my whole life, though, so if anyone has any other questions about specifics of the area you'll live and work in feel free to PM me.

5. thebigd

thebigd Member

Who owns this paper?

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

It's a Lee paper.

7. tmurray2

tmurray2 New Member

I'm guessing a recent grad shouldn't bother with this one. Would that be a correct assumption?

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

The last guy who had this beat was straight out of college, IIRC.

9. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

It may be too late to apply. I heard they wanted to start calling around to set up in-person interviews this week. I'll be eagerly waiting by the phone.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Sadly this is the norm and has been for decades at 50,000 and under papers. Shit, same for beat writers at major papers. With the state of the industry now and people being shown the door, wonder if any of them regret donating so much money to the publishers for free. Newsider reporters go home at 5 p.m. Sports writers work 70, paid for 40. It should never have happened this way. You work 70 hours at McDonalds you get paid for 70. Another one of the oddities of this shit business. Employees willing to work more than they are paid for for the "good of their careers." Really worked well for those getting shown the door.

11. DCguy

DCguy Member

Automatic e-mail says Lee does not plan to fill the position.

"At this time we have decided not to fill the position. However, we encourage you to keep your profile active and up-to-date on our career site, and to check back for new positions. If you are registered on our site and new relevant positions become available, you will be notified automatically via email."

12. Go State

Go State Member

Shocking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.