1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer -- Times of Northwest Indiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hwkcrz1, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

To clear up any confusion, the job is full time. We just posted the job on journalismjobs.com. Thanks.

Company: The Times
    Position: Seeking Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: December 5, 2008
    Job ID: 991230

Description:
    The Times of Northwest Indiana, a 90,000 circulation daily newspaper located 30 miles from downtown Chicago -- featuring its rapidly growing Web site, nwi.com -- seeks a seasoned sportswriter. Candidate must have a journalism degree or work equivalent with a minimum of two years editing or news gathering experience for a daily newspaper or an equivalent news media company. Online news experience and experience covering college basketball is a plus. This person will work with the sports editor and other members of the sports staff. Primary duties include covering the Valparaiso University men's basketball team, plus coverage of prep sports and other office duties. The successful candidate will have solid news judgment, excellent time management and organizational skills, including the ability to deliver on tight deadlines and manage a workload in a heavily zoned environment. The Times offers competitive compensation, an excellent benefits package and a great work environment. Come join The Times team in one of the nation's most competitive news areas. Be part of the news team at the fastest-growing English language newspaper in the United States. Please apply on line at nwi.com/timesjobs.

2. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Thanks.

Is that full-time temporary or full-time permanent?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So it's negotiable if they get a salary? ;D

4. With the state of Lee, what if you're at a JRC paper? Then maybe you might as well apply?

5. Has nothing to do with this job other than a mention of Munster, Indiana....but ironic, or at least coincidental, that I was perusing this posting while a replay of a Big Ten Network game was on TV.

Thom Brennaman in cycling through the starting lineups of a recent game between Northwestern and Indiana mentioned that one of NU's starting linebackers was from Munster, Indiana....so he would hope to play well in his homecoming today.

Of course, Munster (in the far northwest corner of Indiana) is less than an hour from Evanston...and only that because of traffic. Meanwhile, it's about three and a half hours to Bloomington. But, sure...homecoming. I'd bet my last bit of Gannett stock that said linebacker has only been near Bloomington, Indiana to play football games in college.

But hey...happy homecoming.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Anyone else find it funny that this paper would be advertising a job on here, given its recent history of firing people for posting on here?

7. Go State

Go State Member

This job has been open twice in the past two years. Two years ago, they were offering just over 20k. I interviewed for the job and spent a night on the desk in Valpo. Not sure if there's been any turnover, but the staff seemed like a good bunch of people to work with.

At that time, the job was full-time temporary -- 39 hours per week, hourly salary. I was told the Valpo basketball beat was "the most important sports beat at the paper." I found the pay to be startlingly low for "the most important sports beat" at a 90k paper. Hopefully for the sake of the next person that's changed.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I used to string for this paper. It's a good shop, and I think they were named best sports section in the state last year or sometime in the past few years.

Does the Valpo beat opening mean David Robb is leaving?

9. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

I'm thinking of applying ... but what exactly do "other office duties" entail? Are you expected to design at all?

10. Jbrown1450

Jbrown1450 New Member

Here's something to consider about this job given the states of both the economy and the newspaper business:

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2008/04/29/news/top_news/doc742aff2c924c6c1586257439007abf4a.txt

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think right now we're all "temporary."

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's award winning then, wow, I'll get my resume in. Wait, I think journalism awards are B.S. and doesn't mean anything if you can't pay your employees a decent wage and layoff people when profit margins drop to 10 percent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.