1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer -- The Murray Ledger & Times (Murray, Ky.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Edward Marlowe, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Edward Marlowe

Edward Marlowe New Member

Forgive me if I don't call candidates in the next couple of days. Murray State's Steve Prohm has just accepted the HC position at Iowa State. It's made for a busy 30th birthday.

2. ped0003

ped0003 New Member

How long will applications be accepted for this job?

3. Edward Marlowe

Most likely for the next couple of weeks. We're trying to gauge interest and talk to as many people as we can.

4. Edward Marlowe

A quick heads up for anyone interested:

We now have two positions available. I have accepted this exact position at The Paducah Sun and will start working there in July 2015. I will be working diligently over the next three weeks to get caught up on coverage and assisting with the hiring process.

Thanks again for your interest in this position.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's always hilarious when this happens. In a WTF kind of way.

Edward Marlowe likes this.
  6. Edward Marlowe

It's true. Wasn't looking. Got a call. Things certainly happen.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

How far is this from Jonesboro, Arkansas?

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This is hilarious. Come work for me while I get the fuck out of this shit-hole.

BDC99 and donjulio15 like this.
  9. Edward Marlowe

From Jonesboro, Arkansas? Google Maps tells me about 3 hours, or 175 miles. Not too bad.

Also, I wasn't particularly trying to get out of this "shit-hole," per se. I received a phone call about a week ago with the chance at a new opportunity and was asked to apply. I thought about it awhile and decided it might be a good fit. Things happened. I certainly wasn't looking to leave.

10. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Shit happens Ed. Good for you dude. If you have a better opportunity, take it while you can. Those are few and far between now in our business.

11. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Congrats, Edward.

I had a similar situation happen at the first shop I worked at 17 years ago. There were two of us in sports -- I was the sports editor and we had one reporter. He took a job working for a minor league hockey team. No more than a week or so after he gave his two-week notice, I was out the door as well. Both of us took jobs out of state. Both were for better pay. I had to get not one, but two guys up to speed quickly before I left.

I hope it all works out for the folks there in Murray, Ky.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

o_O

Draft saved Draft deleted