1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, The Daily Ardmorite, Ardmore, Okla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

... from JJ.com/$20,000-$25,000 year.

FWIW, this was my first paper many moons ago. Im sure it's changed quite a bit, but it's 35 miles north of the Texas border on I-35. Dallas two hours away for civilization.

The Ardmoreite, a Sunday through Friday morning newspaper in southern Oklahoma, has an opening for a sports writer/paginator The successful applicant will have demonstrated proficiency in producing lively, tight copy on deadline, a basic understanding of most sports and in-depth understanding of primary sports, is competent in photo taking, page design and layout, and has a genuine love of high school sports. Experience with InDesign, NewsEditPro, PhotoShop and photography is desired. Ideally, you will also have a bachelor's degree in journalism and one to two years experience in your profession. The Ardmoreite is the main daily newspaper for southern Oklahoma, encompassing 16 different communities in five counties, all of which expect thorough and concise coverage of their local team. We offer a competitive compensation package, with opportunities for medical, dental, vision and retirement benefits. Send your resume, references, five clips of your most recent stories plus any examples of page layout and photography to: The Ardmoreite, c/o Erik Horne, Sports Editor, P.O.Box 1328, Ardmore OK 73401. Or e-mail to erik.horne@ardmoreite.com and marsha.miller@ardmoreite.com with ‘sports writer’ in the subject line. The Ardmoreite is an equal opportunity employer and supports a drug-free work environment.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Home of Justin Blackmon and Jermaine Gresham.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And starving journalists.

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

And it's not just the salary. I vowed never to visit Ardmore again after an infuriating experience kept me at the McDonald's for an hour. Not the quick bite I was anticipating.

Luckily, I reneged and years later made several trips to the Two Frogs Grill. Great little spot, and very surreal watching some of the best blues musicians going play a city of 25,000 just after playing sold-out European tours. Not sure if they're still booking the same types of acts they were, but they used to get some names coming through there.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Salary is not good but that's a cool name for a newspaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted