1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer -- The Cullman Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by IslandTime, May 25, 2011.

1. IslandTime

IslandTime New Member

The Cullman Times is looking for a well-rounded sports writer to fill an entry-level position. The Times, a six-day daily located in Cullman, Ala., covers 12 high schools in two counties and one junior college. We’re looking for an energetic reporter who’s able to juggle several different duties. Experience with Quark is preferred since some desk work is required. Applicants should send a resume, cover letter and their best clips to dpalmer@cullmantimes.com. No phone calls please.

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I believe this is an eight-man shop with two guys in sports. Cullman HS is pretty good in Class 5A, having just won baseball and tennis titles. The town was hit pretty hard in the recent tornadoes in the area.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Cullman County is about 98 percent white, so if you get this job, get ready for a steady stream of coaches complaining that they "don't have the ath-a-letes" to compete with out-of-area teams.

Oh, and Cullman County's dry.

Other than that, it's not the worst place in the world, an hour from Birmingham and Huntsville and a little over two hours from Nashville ... assuming you ever get a day off.

4. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Actually, Cullman is wet now, so the alcohol is flowing.

As for the sports, Cullman High is usually strong in football and the baseball program is one of the best in the state. The area also has has some strong girls basketball programs and Addison, in Winston County, has a strong football and volleyball programs in Class 1A.

Wallace State-Hanceville is a top-tier junior college with athletic facilities that would put most small four-year schools to shame.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, is this one of those deals where the city is now wet, but the county is still dry?

6. Jim Mashek

Jim Mashek New Member

Albert we can roll through town and make it wet, no matter what they say.

You know, for grins.

7. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

City is wet. County is dry.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And juco athletics are no more statewide, on account of being broke.

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the beloved Stockyard Steakhouse is no more. I remember stopping there when I was in college on my way to Nashville. Good times.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not entirely true... Wallace State hasn't cut any and has enough of on-going campus expansion that down the road, they want to try for four-year status.
    Oh, and Stan Veitch, formerly of several papers in north Alabama was named the SE.

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Stan, the SE, called me just to say he had gotten my application and would be reviewing it. Class.

12. SteveMcQueen

SteveMcQueen New Member

I talked to him too. Seems like a good guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted