1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, The Cullman (Ala.) Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Aug 29, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I'd invite you to call my publisher and ME at the place I am right now and ask them how accountable I am. I was fired for something ridiculous. Not that it mattered, really. They paid me about 5k less a year than what I'm making now. For $9/hour, I'm not going to give them my entire fucking life.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

The days of staying in one place for 50 years are gone. If you get fired, you learn from it and move on. Life goes on. Many times, it turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I pray this is not true. I'm hoping to be inducted into the local sports HOF in 25-30 years as a contributor...

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A Brookie woman covering high school sports in Cullman County? This is the screenplay westcoastvol has waited a lifetime to write.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

This is the same paper that once fired its then one-person Sports staff in late August - AFTER he had written, edited and laid out the entire high school football preview section.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the "career suicide" argument, given the employer.

6. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I'm fairly certain she was fresh out of school, too. Going from Mountain Brook to Tuscaloosa to Cullman is culture shock.

7. slc10

slc10 Member

Both of my brothers are suits in non-journalism fields and they would certainly agree that emailing resumes from office account would go against the not trashing the previous employer.

8. slc10

slc10 Member

By the way, is this job filled now or what? Just curious.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

She found a landing spot: https://twitter.com/APSE_sportmedia/status/250980081546194945

10. I would say she did very well then.

11. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Well, considering she had the job before leaving Cullman, I wouldn't call it a 'landing spot'. But it could be a good place, I don't know much about the HS sports in NY.

12. slc10

slc10 Member

Actually it could be considered a landing spot since you don't quit a job until you have another one.

Draft saved Draft deleted