1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, The Cullman (Ala.) Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Cullman Times is seeking a sports writer to cover a competitive beat of nearly 13 high schools and one junior college. Our writers also cover multiple Alabama and Auburn home games, as well as national championships, throughout the college football season. Our next hire should be skilled in writing gamers on deadline, as well as features. The ability to design appealing pages is also preferred. Email resumes and writing samples to David Palmer, editor, at dpalmer@cullmantimes.com.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nearly 13 high schools?

Also, a quick stat that comes up every time there's an opening in Cullman (but it's worth noting for potential applicants): Cullman County is about 90 percent white and about 10 percent Latino. The black population is less than 1 percent.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

From Wiki...

The median income for a household in the city was $29,164, and the median income for a family was $41,313.

That's pretty low.

4. Steak Snabler

That kind of money can go a long way in a place like Cullman. It's cheap to live there and it's relatively close to cultural/entertainment opportunities in Birmingham, Huntsville and Nashville.

The high school sports are a mixed bag. Probably in large part because of the demographics I mentioned in my previous post, the football and boys basketball are mediocre-to-bad (though Cullman High usually makes the playoffs in football) while the baseball and girls basketball are outstanding.

Oh, and it's CNHI ... so there's that.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

IIRC, there are some tax advantages to living in Alabama. No state sales tax, perhaps?

6. Steak Snabler

Very low property taxes. It's no longer the case, but at one time, you could have doubled property taxes in Alabama and they would have been the lowest in the country.

They have a state sales tax.

7. Moderator1

Hey young gun, how 'bout you not out anyone? Jesus.

8. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Not to mention it was deleted AFTER my post earlier. Assuming it was so folks didn't search and get the wrong thread, but don't get pissy when I did nothing wrong, dude.

9. Steak Snabler

Nice knowing you, young-gun ...

10. Moderator1

Dude? You mentioned a guy who worked there by screen name. And then another guy so anyone could have put two and two together.

Call me dude again and I won't much like it.

11. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

As for the job itself: Cullman has a great little town. ATT U-Verse is in town. The palce has one small neighborhood of blacks and that's really it. However, cost of living is outrageously inexpensive. It's about an hour from me and where I grew up. Cullman HS has a great boys basketball team, baseball team and traditionally a good football team. A ton of good girl's basketball in the county. Softball is pretty impressive too in North Alabama. Cullman HS actually pays the Univ. of Cincy to use their "C" logo with bearcat prints. CHS is also known as the "Bearcats"

Stan Veitch is good people. He will help anyone get things rolling. I have always enjoyed working with him. He knows preps as well as anyone in the state.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does this get the young gun seal or are there too many illegals?

Draft saved Draft deleted