1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, The Citizens' Voice, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jim Halpert, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

Company: The Citizens' Voice
    Position:
    Sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    December 25, 2007
    Job ID: 856212

Description:
    The Citizens’ Voice, Wilkes-Barre, Pa., has an immediate opening for a sports writer to cover scholastic and collegiate sports in an aggressive two-newspaper market.

The ideal candidate will have a proven track record covering a beat and the ability to identify compelling feature and enterprise stories. We’re also looking for a reporter who understands the basics and importance of the Web in breaking the news. 1-2 years of daily experience is preferred, but we will consider entry-level reporters with strong journalism backgrounds.

Send resume and work samples to Larry Holeva, Managing Editor, The Citizens’ Voice, 75 N. Washington St., Wilkes-Barre, Pa. 18711 or e-mail lholeva@timesshamrock.com

-----

I saw a couple threads from a while back on jobs from here and the other paper in town, seemed mostly negative. The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area doesn't seem like the worst place in the world. For someone hypothetically looking to make a move out of their first job, where would this rank?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

This paper has a lot more stability than the Times-Leader, from what I gather. They're a Times-Shamrock paper, and between this and Scranton, it's the apples of their eye. I know someone in news who seemed happy there last I heard.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

still waiting for a The Office reference.

4. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

I'm also considering an offer in Stamford, if anyone can compare the two branches - I mean, papers - for me.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a tip of the cap, fine sir.

6. DanRPI34

DanRPI34 New Member

Anyone know what their circulation is at right now?

7. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

my friend once told me this was the lone hyphenated city in America, I doubt that's true.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Problem is, Shamrock reports The Citizens' Voice and The Scranton Times-Tribune jointly as one combined circulation number.

TIMES-SHAMROCK NEWSPAPERS, WILKES-BARRE (LUZERNE CO.) SAT M DLY 80,983
    TIMES-SHAMROCK NEWSPAPERS, WILKES-BARRE (LUZERNE CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 82,917
    TIMES-SHAMROCK NEWSPAPERS, WILKES-BARRE (LUZERNE CO.) SUN DLY 100,137

Last I recall hearing, Scranton was more than 50K and W-B was about 30K, but I couldn't guess the current breakdown.

By comparison:
    SUNDAY TIMES LEADER, WILKES-BARRE (LUZERNE CO.) SUN DLY 50,343
    TIMES LEADER, WILKES-BARRE (LUZERNE CO.) SAT M DLY 37,520
    TIMES LEADER, WILKES-BARRE (LUZERNE CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 37,556

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

When did they start doing that? I'm pretty sure that's a recent change because I remember numbers similar to the ones you guessed -- W-B around 30-ish, the two Scranton papers a combined 50 or 55.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Must be recent, MM.

And for the record, there is only one Scranton paper now. Morning and afternoon editions probably merged within the past four or five years.

11. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I interned at the Scranton Times & Tribune about four and a half years ago. At the time, there was two seperate editions, the Times in the morning and the Tribune in the afternoon. Really, I don't think there was too much difference between each edition on most days, so it makes sense they merged, apparently a little more than two years ago.

The circulation was always explained as about 85,000 or so, and I was under the impression that was only the Scranton papers, not the Citizens' voice also. But maybe they just wanted you to think that.

At any rate, I thought highly of the Times & Tribune, and I think the Citizen's Voice was pretty good as well. Obviously, they share a lot of things. Scranton covered the Red Barons' baseball time, as well as the hockey team, I believe. The Citizens' Voice took care of the AFL2 coverage. NASCAR is big there, too, of course.

I can't say for sure about the Citizens' Voice, but the Times & Tribune had a pretty friendly, relaxed atmosphere for the most part. I don't think too many people had major complaints, and in fact, most of them had been content working there for quite a few years.

12. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

Anyone know how big the staff is here?

Draft saved Draft deleted