1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer -- The Citizen of Laconia (N.H.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RBooth, May 18, 2012.

1. RBooth

RBooth New Member

Hey everyone,

I've been reading SportsJournalists.com for a while now and I enjoy everyone's input and thoughts on this board. That's why I've decided to announce an opening here before it hits JournalismJobs.com (if it even does).

I'm the sports editor at The Citizen of Laconia (N.H.) in the Lakes Region. I'm looking to hire a new sports writer, as my current writer/assistant editor is moving on to a new gig elsewhere in New Hampshire at the end of the month.

We're a two-man shop that focuses our energy on 10 high schools. We also have a Division III university, two NASCAR races every year, a college summer ball team, various outdoor activities that draw huge crowds (fishing derbies, pond hockey tournaments, etc.) and everything else that New Hampshire has to offer. We're a 7,000-circulation, six-day-a-week newspaper. We do not publish on Sundays.

I hope to be honest and straight forward regarding everything with this position. Here's what I'm looking for in potential candidates:

• We'll get this out of the way: Yes, if you are a recent college graduate with internship or college newspaper experience, feel free to apply. I encourage it, in fact. This is an entry-level job with a ton of room for growth.
    • We design our own pages in the sports department, so experience with Quark or Adobe InDesign is preferred. We have a pretty tight deadline every night (11:15) so designing pages quickly and cleanly is a priority.
    • If you have your own photography equipment and can shoot, you've got more of a foot in the door. This added flexibility is huge for us. Please send photography clips, too, if you have them. With that said, I'd rather take a great reporter that's never touched a camera than an average reporter that is also a great photographer.
    • Basic knowledge of Photoshop.
    • Ability to write for the web, as well as a general understanding of social media. This is an area of the Citizen we are growing slowly. With a new reporter, I'd like to dive head first into it and develop a strong gameplan for social media.
    • All of the staples of journalism: AP Style, ability to quote accurately, write concisely, inverted pyramid, etc., etc.

As far as salary goes, I don't have an exact number yet. I could ballpark it but I don't want to put a number out and not have it flow with what our publisher has in mind. I should have a better idea this week.

If you would like to apply, please send a resume, cover letter and five writing samples via email to rbooth@citizen.com. We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible.

If you have any questions, you can email me directly or respond in the thread.

P.S.: We are 20 minutes from Tahoe.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Who owns Laconia now? I thought I read recently that the Foster's folk sold it.

3. RBooth

RBooth New Member

Wicked — You are correct. Foster's sold it a couple years back. It is now owned by Sample Media Group/Eagle Publishing.

Update: I've received quite a few resumes from this post. I will be filtering through them over the next few days. I am sending out emails this week and hope to schedule interviews for this week. Also, I plan to email everyone who has applied — whether you are asked for an interview or not.

Sorry for the delay in the response. I just got back from a weekend away.

Thank you.

4. RBooth

RBooth New Member

Update: I sent out 99 percent of the emails last night. I'm still waiting on a few more candidates to send me the rest of their information.

5. RBooth

RBooth New Member

I received many great applications for this job. I'm happy to say I've filled the position.

Thanks to all who applied.

Draft saved Draft deleted