1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer - The Berkshire Eagle (Pittsfield, Mass.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by msprague, May 26, 2010.

1. msprague

msprague New Member

The Berkshire Eagle is looking for a full-time sports writer to join its four-person staff. The position will comprise regular sports coverage in The Eagle's 12-high school, two-college area, as well as seasonal coverage of Canadian-American League baseball, youth/recreational sports and enterprise work. Editing and page-design shifts eventually will be required a day or two a week. Experience with NewsEdit Pro and Quark XPress software is preferred but not required. Send cover letter, resume and six writing clips by June 14 to Executive Editor Tim Farkas or Sports Editor Matthew Sprague at The Berkshire Eagle, 75 S. Church St., Pittsfield MA 01201.

2. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

No email address to apply to?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can vouch for Matthew. Works his ass off for that section. You'll work hard, but you'll have fun and learn a lot.

4. msprague

msprague New Member

Oops. Good catch. msprague@berkshireeagle.com or tfarkas@berkshireeagle.com.

5. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I applied to a job here a few years ago, and I'm thinking Matt may have been the SE I did a phone interview with. Seemed like a really good guy. He wanted me and went to the wall to get a salary that would get me up there, but I ended up having to turn it down, certainly not because of him. Had I been in a different situation at the time, I likely would have taken it.

Good luck to Matt and to all who apply.

6. mojo20205

mojo20205 Member

If it helps...

I covered the Can-Am League for two years and, if you run the beat correctly, will leave you with a ton of solid clips for your next job. Some interesting ballplayers/stories in that league.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This is a medianews property, in fact, it's the flagship of the new England division. Matt is a good SE, and chris won a few awards, so the next person will have some big shoes to fill.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I've talked with Matt a couple times in recent years about gigs. Timing/money/circumstances never lined up in my favor, but it's a decent place to work from everything I've seen and heard. Tim's a decent fellow, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted